Discuss Residential garage: single 220v circuit for multiple tools? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SlimJim82

DIY
Reaction score
Looking for some advice and insight on best practices here. I have an attached garage 25 feet away from my main 200amp service panel in my home.
I want to use a mig welder, a 3HP table saw, and a 2HP belt grinder in my garage.
I have plenty of room in my panel to add a circuit for each, but to save a little bit I was thinking it would be nice to have one breaker in the panel to run to 3 different receptacles in the garage for these tools. basically, I wanted to mount each receptacle right next to each other. More than one of these tools would never be used at once. Each tool is 220v, and each requires a different receptacle style. I'm not really interested in doing a sub-panel, unless that is the proper code thing to do.
-Welder uses a 6-50R receptacle,
-Table saw uses a 6-15P receptacle,
-Belt grinder uses a 6-20P receptacle.

My question is would something like this be acceptable? Or is it because each receptacle has a different amperage rating, then this would be dangerous? I was thinking about using a 50 amp breaker, using 8 (or 6?) gauge copper conductor from the panel to the welder receptacle, then over the belt grinder receptacle, and then finally to the table saw. My theory is this would not be good, because the table saw motor is only draws like 9 amps or so and an overload there wouldn't trip the breaker until 50amps, thus burning out the 15amp receptacle first.

Looking for some advice and insight on best practices here. I have an attached garage 25 feet away from my main 200amp service panel in my home.
I want to use a mig welder, a 3HP table saw, and a 2HP belt grinder in my garage.
I have plenty of room in my panel to add a circuit for each, but to save a little bit I was thinking it would be nice to have one breaker in the panel to run to 3 different receptacles in the garage for these tools. basically, I wanted to mount each receptacle right next to each other. More than one of these tools would never be used at once. Each tool is 220v, and each requires a different receptacle style. I'm not really interested in doing a sub-panel, unless that is the proper code thing to do.
-Welder uses a 6-50R receptacle,
-Table saw uses a 6-15P receptacle,
-Belt grinder uses a 6-20P receptacle.

My question is would something like this be acceptable? Or is it because each receptacle has a different amperage rating, then this would be dangerous? I was thinking about using a 50 amp breaker, using 8 (or 6?) gauge copper conductor from the panel to the welder receptacle, then over the belt grinder receptacle, and then finally to the table saw. My theory is this would not be good, because the table saw motor is only draws like 9 amps or so and an overload there wouldn't trip the breaker until 50amps, thus burning out the 15amp receptacle first.
The welder obviously needs it’s own circuit which as you stated using a 50 double pole breaker with # 8 wire and the other 2 yes. Pull a 20 amp circuit for both the other tools and you should be fine. Good luck with your project.

Reply to Residential garage: single 220v circuit for multiple tools? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net