Discuss Rewire a kitchen advise needed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I'm just starting out on my own and i've got my first semmy big job and iam looking for some advise with it.

the kitchen is on the upstairs ring with the boiler so I'm looking at taking it off that ring and putting a new ring in just for the kitchen and moving the cooker point (which also needs putting on the rcd side of the cu)

I have called Lbc and they will come out when first fix is done then when the job is complete and the have told me to do all the testing myself.

Sorry for the long post

Well good luck with that just don't be fazed.

Kitchens are a real individual thing, ok wiring front rooms, bedrooms and such as it's a few sockets and a copule of lights. A kitchen though is an individual design and talking to your client is the best way to do things.

A few things I would want in my kitchen rather than a ring perhaps 2 radials. If the ring trips then everything goes, 2 radials then you may be lucky and keep half the sockets working.

Cookers. I would personally run a 10mm^. I know the OSG in appendix 8 states a 15kw cooker can be fitted to a 32 amp device, personally I would run a 10mm^ for any future upgrades that is within reason, and fit a 45amp breaker.

All undercounter appliances I would run off a radial of 4mm^ into double pole switches and then from there to undercounter sockets.

Lighting is so important, make sure you can have good lighting throughout, try and get them away from downlighters as such. I would want ligting in zones, so perhaps ceiling in 2 zones, the under counter in another zone and even LED lights at floor level for the pelmits. Have all these on individual switches.

I'm sure there are many more suggestions, but the bottom line is what your client wants, within reason and giving it to them with advice and suggestions trown in.

Put a new circuit in for the boiler to depending on the CDU stick it on its own RCBO ,excellant advice from malcome

Last edited by a moderator:
Put a new circuit in for the boiler to depending on the CDU stick it on its own RCBO ,excellant advice from malcome

much prefer to put separate cct.for freezer, all that food rotted due to niusance trip. boiler goes off--- put a jumper on!

Hi thanks for the all the tips

the boiler is going to be on the ring with only 4 sockets on it.
In regards to the testing do i need to do a full test before i start or just IR test?
and what certs do i put it on as the kitchen is a new circuit but the upstairs ring is just a modification

and what do i need to know to keep Lbc happy

Last edited:
Id Do a full test as you dont know if there is any continuity readings etc IR tests are only good if you have a good continuity reading ,, telectrix if good quality RCBO's were cheap id put every circuit on one ,arrghh cant stand wastage good point

If your only going to work on the kitchen circuits then you only need to test them, you do not need to test other circuits in the installation, unless it affects the circuits your working on, or your circuits affect them.

What is the actually brief. What are you doing.

the kitchen is on the upstairs ring with the boiler so I'm looking at taking it off that ring and putting it on its own ring and then just close the upstairs ring so all is on it is the boiler and 4 sockets
Hoping to put a new bit of cable between the sockets upstairs to close it or use a jb

So rewire of the kitchen is runing a new ring final circuit into the kitchen.

The upstairs ring final circuit as your not adding anything, nor changing the protection device to it can be done on a MIEWC.

Though your only moving the cooking point that can be done under maintenance and no need to certificate any of that, but as you say your going to change the protection by moving it onto the RCD you will need to MIEWC for that.

Downstairs kitchen ring will be a little more involved. As it's a kitchen you have notified it. And as you say the new ring will have to be RCD. You will need therefore to complete an EIC with schedule of inspections and results.

As it is a Ring final circuit you will have to do the full set of tests continuity of protective conductors and ring final circuit, IR, Polarity, then Ze PSCC and your Zs. etc

If you did the sockets as radials then you could omit the worse test IMO which is the continuity of ring final circuits and just do the R1 + R2.

Also as your doing an EIC you will have to check and see if the bonding need to be updated to the REGs

Reply to Rewire a kitchen advise needed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net