Discuss Ring mains and new sockets in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TonyB

Hi. My first post and looking for a bit of advice. I am doing the installation 'donkey work' before I get an electrician in to put a new ring mains in and make the wiring connections. All the main cables for the house are sub-floor (for the ground floor). I am putting 6 double sockets into one room and fitting backboxes and conduit down through the floor, so it should be easy for the electrician to feed the cables up when it comes to finishing the job. My question is, does each socket (backbox) have to have a conduit cable route going down through the floor, or can sockets that are next to each other (two lots of double sockets will probably be a couple of inches or so apart horizontally) be connected by conduit horizontally above the floor level? Obviously the latter would save some channeling work, but does that method conform to the regs?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Tony, as far as I am aware the regs state that wiring must be either horizontal or vertical of the socket so that in the future people can correctly locate where they are buried. It is considered bad practice to install wires diagonally. So it would be fine to wire accross from socket to socket on the horizontal.

Also if it is a new build there is a band from 450mm to 1200mm with which to install sockets and switches. It is anticipated that sockets are at the bottom end of this band and switches at the top.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. That helps me feel more confident about carrying on with the work. Thankfully, it's an older house, so not subject to the 450mm minimum height for sockets (which I think is crazy and looks so ugly in new build).

Tony just a quick point that eskimo has pointed out about the socket & switch heights.

If you are planning to alter your property throughout (although ungly and I agree) it maybe worth considering the new heights if you intend to sell your property in the future?

It falls under Part M of the building Regulations and is really geared to support people with disabilities.

Young kids reaching the light switches is another debate thats been had by many of us electricians!

Forget the Part M for positions - this is only for new builds and renovations.
Future owners will want them where you want them - unless you put them on the ceiling that is.

alex

Hi Coxy. I thought if it was additions to an exsisting installation you could match the heights with existing equipment and the 450mm-1200mm only applied to full new installations.

Am I wrong?

So as Tony is just having a new ring main installed, but I assume will already have other circuits in place, can he stay at existing height??

Is the 450-1200mm rule purly for complete new installations of all circuits?

Cheers Mate

Is it a complete rewire ??? if so new heights apply.
An extension ??? then match existing.
Extra socket to existing ???? match existing
Advise

does this apply to all new builds or does it not state "dwellings" in osg...im workin on a new build school and no-one seems bothered about these heights. id have thought if it applies to houses then it should be the same in schools

As far as I can understand the OSG, domestic NEW BUILDS are required to position between 450 and 1200 not rewires but on the subject of smokes any building that is structurally altered requires interconnected Fire detectors. I prefer the Aico Li-ion back ups as these don't have to be touched for the 10 yr llife of the det. Sorry if this is becoming a ramble but enjoying a peaceful evening with Meneer Merlot!

Reply to Ring mains and new sockets in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock