Discuss Route to becoming a qualified electrical contractor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I'm currently studying my level 2 diploma in installation. I understand I'm a long way off yet but I'm confused about how one actually becomes a self employed qualified electrical contractor. I know an apprenticeship is the best route but what if this isn't avalible or you don't get taken on.

I've been told by my lecturers that you must complete the level 2 & 3 diploma then complete an nvq assessment and then sit your AM2. And along the way you must gain your 17th and inspection and testing.

Can anyone clear this up? I know you would need experience also, but is it essential, as in, without it you cannot become qualified.

Thanks

Hi

I'm currently studying my level 2 diploma in installation. I understand I'm a long way off yet but I'm confused about how one actually becomes a self employed qualified electrical contractor. I know an apprenticeship is the best route but what if this isn't avalible or you don't get taken on.

I've been told by my lecturers that you must complete the level 2 & 3 diploma then complete an nvq assessment and then sit your AM2. And along the way you must gain your 17th and inspection and testing.

Can anyone clear this up? I know you would need experience also, but is it essential, as in, without it you cannot become qualified.

Thanks

If you are considering going self employed then experience of working under a highly experienced mentor is the most valuable and essential thing you will need. You'll be floundering around like a blindfolded chimp in a hall of mirrors if you don't have a few years of good all round mentoring under your belt.

The qualifications and core knowledge is also essential, but useless without knowing how to put it into practice.

Hi

Thanks

Level 2 and 3 city and guilds 2365 or EAL equivalents, nvq level 3 which you will have to be in some kind of role to gain experience as you will have to build a portfolio on a variety of work. You will either have to do this voluntary, seek employment as a mate or wing it on agency work as a mate. As part of your NVQ you will also have to do the AM2. With the above qualifications you will be able to get an electricians jib/ecs card. If you go on to do the 2394/2395 then you will be able to gain an approved electricians card. Its worth noting with the 2394/5 testing qualification there are other equivalents provided by the likes of EAL and logic but city and guilds are considered higher by many within the industry. Experience is absolutely essential as without any experience and only your qualifications your be a classic case of all the gear but no idea .

Last edited:
I understand how important experience is. I just didn't want it holding me back if I ever needed it to progress to the next level. Thank you to everyone who posted.

I think the message I was trying to impart was don't run before you can walk. Concentrate on becoming an electrician before setting your sights on self employment.

There are guys to work for out there with lifetimes of experience to pass on, the value of which is difficult to measure in the context of going forward throughout your whole career as an electrician either with or without that experience.

Reply to Route to becoming a qualified electrical contractor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net