Discuss Routing Cables through Boiler Cuboard? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

WarrenG

Doing a job where the upstairs lighting feeds and shower cable are currrently being routed through the back of a cuboard where the boiler is kept. Boiler housed in a cuboard in the bathroom upstairs.

They cables are not that close to the boiler itself and the obvious concern to me would be the temperature, but we are talking a boiler and not immersion heater.

To re-route the cables would be a mission (i.e. channelling) so I would be interested to see if anyone has had a problem with keeping the cables routed this way (now the 17th is here) on any inspection from their scheme?

Whats the ambient temperature when boiler in use?
What type of cable?
There must be maximum and minimum opperating temps for cables in the regs somwhere perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Max op temp for 6242 is 70Deg Centigrade( I'm preparing to be corrected. No! not like that , by the people on the site who actually look this stuff up, not the dominatrix in the uniform...!) I'm pretty sure this is correct. A modern boiler shouldn't get any where near this as it converts as much heat as poss into DHW or CH energy

I though I would throw the question out to the forum just in case anybody had been pulled for any new reason that may have changed in the 17th Edition. Even though I have the design qualification, I was quietly expecting some one to say ' ah well you could do that but now......'

I have seen this route in a number of domestic properties, i.e. CU under the stairs, with cable routed upstairs under the upstairs hallway floor boards, then up through the boiler cuboard in the bathroom to the loft area, but i have often wondered if any scheme Inspector disagreed with this route.

I would argue ( as I would!!) that as longas the ambient temp doesn't exceed the design temp( 70deg is pretty warm!!) suggest to the inspector that he goes forth and multiplies. The cable is fit for its environment Zs readings allow for excessive temps what's rthe prob?? apart from my smelling, birry, spelling!!

Are we talking british standards
BS 6242:1982 - WITHDRAWN (replaced by BS ISO 6710:1995)
Specification for single use unlabelled medical specimen containers for haematology and biochemistry
or
BS 6004:2000

Electric cables. PVC insulated, non-armoured cables for voltages up to and including 450/750 V, for electric power, lighting and internal wiring

or is my book wrong

Reply to Routing Cables through Boiler Cuboard? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock