Discuss Run cable through meter box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been asked to install an external socket below the meter box. The consumer unit is directly behind the meter box and I plan to put the socket on its own circuit. The easiest route for the cable would be out of the CU, through the meter box and out of the bottom into the socket. My question is, is it OK to run cables through the meter box?

I think the OP means the white plastic builders housing thingy , and not the actually electricity metre

So why is running a cable or pipe through the builders white plastic thingy an issue ? Its just a plastic box , and as long as you maintain its integrity by sealing and small gaps where you drill a small hole then I see no issue

Answer: It depends on the situation

We got caught out and had to replace some white meter housings once as we had drilled holes for 10mm bonding wires, it was a new build and the building inspector didn't like it.

Answer: It depends on the situation

We got caught out and had to replace some white meter housings once as we had drilled holes for 10mm bonding wires, it was a new build and the building inspector didn't like it.
That would be gas meter housings? Very unlikely risk of gas entering the wall cavity is the reason.

Because the DNOs and ENA don't approve of it being used other than for Supplier's equipment.
Correct, but I'd run the cable through the box anyway in this particular case.
An old rule from the days when the cabinet could have a service head, two large separate meters and a mechanical time switch, so there wasn't a lot of spare room.

Reply to Run cable through meter box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am planning to go semi off grid with a victron and battery system. The system will be installed in an out building about 20 meters away from...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Customer has an extension and this compromises existing meter position, DNO is extending incomer and putting meter box on a different...
Replies
Views
I would like to hide the cable to an EV charger. The consumer unit, meter cabinet and charger would all be on the same wall. About 5 metres from...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys Would I be correct in thinking an electric cable can be as close as 25mm to a gas meter ? (not that I'd ever be that close out of...
Replies
Views
Help please! I need a Tesla Gen 2 EV charger fitted in my garage which is 22m from the consumer unit. My electrician is proposing to route a 6mm...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock