Discuss Run of cables from consumer unit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Am about to change a consumer unit where the existing cables all snake around a window and up to first floor.
As the plaster here is also being redone i am looking for advice on best way to run new cables.

The main incommer is under a bay window and there is only a 2 foot column of wall between the window and main door to run all cables up to first floor (ground floor already in and concrete).

I would have to run cables left out of consumer unit for about 2 to 3 feet then up the wall between window and door.
How can i do this safely within regs so nobody puts picture nails etc through the cables later.
Many cables to run (10mm x 1, 6mm x 1, 2.5mm x 7 and 1.5mm x 3)

can you not move the consumer unit to the side of the window, then all cables will be vertically up and thus in the safe zone?

Mechanical Protection or buried beyond 50mm.... Good luck with that though lol

Is it possible to replace the tails and reposition the consumer unit to a more adequate position?

Sounds like a right ballache, do you have any photos?

:thumbsup

Put a 'free socket' in with your new cable runs, bring them all into it's safe zone :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar one in a old house. I found the easiest and quickest way if it's being replastered is earthed
metal trunking in the Wall.
Hope this helps :)

can you not move the consumer unit to the side of the window, then all cables will be vertically up and thus in the safe zone?

Thanks. Did think of that which would then mean i only have to worry about meter tails going off right 2 or 3 feet to incommer. Just that if left where it is then it would be possible to build into cupboard flush with wall. If moved it willl stick into room and be right by side of front door.

Put a socket under the vertical run and its now a safe zone, or two sockets for that amount of cable...

That sounds like the easiest option. Odd position for two sockets but hey ho. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I had a similar one in a old house. I found the easiest and quickest way if it's being replastered is earthed
metal trunking in the Wall.
Hope this helps :)

Thanks for that. This is the one i was trying to avoid.

Reply to Run of cables from consumer unit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net