Discuss Running a couple new sockets from mains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just looking for a little advise on if my plan to run this spur is okay I’ve drawn a diagram in hopes to make my expiation simpler

The MS square is the main socket which has not been tampered with

The F is a 13 amp fuse spur

And the S are the additional sockets which I plan to add in the exact same wiring example

I’m using 2.5mm twin core and earth cable

Edit: two of them will be single sockets the other will be a double socket
1C5CAE8A-010F-4F1B-ADC5-D3B7EAFE7A34.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the existing socket definitely on a ring circuit?
Yes definitely a ring circuit there’s two wires that go into the main socket and dose appear to have any previous tampering with

Out of interest, does the drawing show intended cable routes and, if so, will cables be in a wall or on its surface?
The cables will be router under the floor and some behind walls but yes the wiring diagram is roughly how I intended to do it

Yes definitely a ring circuit there’s two wires that go into the main socket and dose appear to have any previous tampering with

The cables will be router under the floor and some behind walls but yes the wiring diagram is roughly how I intended to do it

You can't run buried cables diagonally. Have a Google of prescribed zones.

The fact that it has two wires does not necessarily mean it is on a ring. Although it could well do.

You can't run buried cables diagonally. Have a Google of prescribed zones.

The fact that it has two wires does not necessarily mean it is on a ring. Although it could well do.
Pretty confident that the socket is connect to ring main I can add some photos if it would help as for the diagonal cable I've already got a channel for where the cable will go

Pretty confident that the socket is connect to ring main I can add some photos if it would help as for the diagonal cable I've already got a channel for where the cable will go

You asked if your plan was okay. If it involves running cables diagonally in a wall, then it is not okay.

Bear in mind that this arrangement will be limited to a combined load of 13A between all of the new sockets.

If the Chanel is diagonal across the wall, I would not use it.

idealy, you would extend the ring instead of adding a fused spur and a couple of sockets from there.

You asked if your plan was okay. If it involves running cables diagonally in a wall, then it is not okay.

Bear in mind that this arrangement will be limited to a combined load of 13A between all of the new sockets.
If the Chanel is diagonal across the wall, I would not use it.

idealy, you would extend the ring instead of adding a fused spur and a couple of sockets from there.
Sorry don't think I explained it properly the straight wires there run through the walls the digagonal cables are under the floor

Not sure if this will help but here are photos from the main socket

Attachments

• 2B6311D1-65DA-4A69-A5BD-07473954A3CA.jpeg
    479.7 KB · Views: 41
  • C5849C77-31E7-4924-8E8E-101CA594D20B.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 47
Two cables into a socket is what I would expect to find on both a RFC and a radial circuit, so that means nothing. The rating of the protective device (fuse, MCB or RCBO) will be a better clue.

One cable would indicate a spur from a RFC or the end of a radial circuit. Two indicate nothing other than it is not either of these.

2 cables does not ensure its a proper complete ring final circuit.
Someone would need to securely isolate the circuit then measure end to end resistance to ensure this is a ring.

Can you explain the last bit to me like I’m an idiot please lol 🤣

@nicebutdim was just making you aware that the 3 extra sockets you are adding can only handle 13A in total.
You have added a 13A fused spur at the beginning so the fuse will blow if you add large current drawing items to the 3 extra sockets.

@nicebutdim was just making you aware that the 3 extra sockets you are adding can only handle 13A in total.
You have added a 13A fused spur at the beginning so the fuse will blow if you add large current drawing items to the 3 extra sockets.
Gotcha I don’t think what I plan to add onto the sockets will exceed that I only plan to use the sockets for a small lamp a little plug-in speaker and a small mini fridge

This is the normal way to do it, so, as said above two cables to a socket does not necessarily indicate a RFC.
From what I can tell and know about the house the socket I’m gonna run it from hasn’t ever been messed around with and was installed when the house was built how else would I check to see if it is on the correct circuit?

Reply to Running a couple new sockets from mains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net