Discuss Running a couple new sockets from mains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gotcha I don’t think what I plan to add onto the sockets will exceed that I only plan to use the sockets for a small lamp a little plug-in speaker and a small mini fridge
It doesn't matter what you plan to specifically power from the sockets now, someone could come along later and plug in multiple heaters, etc. You have to design the circuit to be compliant and not draw more current than the cable can handle. So if you are adding a spur and a second spur from a ring final circuit on a 32A MCB/RCBO, you need to fuse it down to 13A.

But, as Brian has said twice, what is the existing circuit breaker for the circuit? Is it 32A, or something less. For example, if only 16A, you no longer need to fuse it down.

Plus the new sockets must have RCD protection, I don't recall if this is mentioned already or not.

It doesn't matter what you plan to specifically power from the sockets now, someone could come along later and plug in multiple heaters, etc. You have to design the circuit to be compliant and not draw more current than the cable can handle. So if you are adding a spur and a second spur from a ring final circuit on a 32A MCB/RCBO, you need to fuse it down to 13A.

But, as Brian has said twice, what is the existing circuit breaker for the circuit? Is it 32A, or something less. For example, if only 16A, you no longer need to fuse it down.

Plus the new sockets must have RCD protection, I don't recall if this is mentioned already or not.
Okay so not sure if this helps? I’d assume since it’s an original socket it’s 32A I haven’t got anything to accurately test that tho

Attachments

• 6D9AAB39-F8C4-4B97-BBC3-3BBB79E61F0E.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 26

Reply to Running a couple new sockets from mains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net