Discuss Running a sub main to a Garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I have a job coming up to replace a CU. It has failed a few tests so has to be replaced. It is a large house and the board is a two tier one so will replace with similar. Whilst surveying the old board I noticed two 63 amp mcb's one supplying an extension to the house this has a ring and lighting in it so could be down graded to a 40 amp. The other one is feeding the garage via a 16mm swa, on inspection I found that the garage has a CU in it which feeds a ring, lighting and heating and filtration for the swimming pool. The SWA surfaces at the house close to the meter cupboard. My question is can I terminate the swa in the meter cupboard using an adaptable box and a small 80 amp switch. The wylex etc are all to big to fit in a meter cupboard.

Sorry, but I can't help asking ... what's the earthing and bonding for the house and shed?
Re the Switch : Maybe I've misunderstood but why not take SWA right up to the new CU? These days the adaptable with switch would prob need to be metal anyway. And again apologies, but do you need the switch? Isn't there isolation from mcb and the main DP switch?

Changing a CU where the old one "failed tests" could end up very nasty ....... just saying.

The OP's been back on today and hasn't updated us ..... yet!

The only "failed test" which comes to mind is an rcd in a split load or dual rcd board. But they are replaceable if still available.

Hi Guys, Sorry for delay in replying, have been trying to upload some pictures from my phone. It is not playing today. will try again in a minute. To answer questions. CU failed mainly because the RCD/main switch is 100ma and would not trip at all on X5. The RCD has two inputs and two outputs per L and N one for each bus bar of the two tier board. The person that installed it has spilt the tails in two to feed both bars. Pictures will tell what I mean. A colleague of mine has suggested that the RCD is a 3 phase one. All looks a mess. The reason that I am wanting to run sub main is to take the load of the house CU as without further investigation I think the garage load is high with pool etc. Will upload pictures ASAP.

How many terminals does this rcd have you must surely know a triple-pole from a double-pole.

When doing the 2391 course we were informed that the only thing that would have marks deducted was to write about a 5 x test on any rcd except for a 30mA

You can see why the this has been done neutral not fitting in resective neutral terminal(it should of done).so bodged in 4 pole rcd could of used bus-bar load sideThe incomming tails should of fitted in terminals.Iy's a bodge but full marks for improvisation.

Reply to Running a sub main to a Garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock