Discuss running power to garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

seppe

I currently have an old type rewireable fuse unit & I wish to run power to my garage to supply a light and some sockets. The cables will be run inside the house as the garage is attached but aprox 10m away from fuse board. I’ve had 4 people come and look at the job each have told me a different thing which is right or are they all right? What would you recommend?

• Run a cable from the existing main switch to a new fuse board in the garage.
  • I need to have my old fuse board change as it is an old type and that way I would also have a spare fuse to run the new circuit.
  • spur off a socket from kitchen in to the garage
  • run a cable from an already used fuse to a new fuse board in the garage, but might need to up rate the fuse wire due to the extra load.

If you are using the 4mm cable, and you take the cable as being 15m long then the maximum demand allowable for these conditions is 5999 Watts, or 25amps

this would cover you for a radial circuit for power and a single lighting circuit

I currently have an old type rewireable fuse unit & I wish to run power to my garage to supply a light and some sockets. The cables will be run inside the house as the garage is attached but aprox 10m away from fuse board. I’ve had 4 people come and look at the job each have told me a different thing which is right or are they all right? What would you recommend?

• Run a cable from the existing main switch to a new fuse board in the garage.
  • I need to have my old fuse board change as it is an old type and that way I would also have a spare fuse to run the new circuit.
  • spur off a socket from kitchen in to the garage
  • run a cable from an already used fuse to a new fuse board in the garage, but might need to up rate the fuse wire due to the extra load.
don't use a spur- there's too much load.

you should really change the fuse board as it will protect your whole house and be future proof.

as for running any cable without rcd protection- it's not a great idea.

100% right

i wont work on old rewireable fuseboards now. if they need work done they should upgrade, otherwise it wouldn't pass any test/inspection regardless of the work done.

each to their own i guess - i have liability insurance that i don't intend on using.

rewireable fuseboards are a no for me, no rcd's, no tripping times

no thanks from me - carry on you!

Thanks for the help guys! But I take it as i have no other option but to have a new fuseboard fitted?

Thanks for the help guys! But I take it as i have no other option but to have a new fuseboard fitted?

I think it’s the best option, you could split the tails and insert another cu- but for the difference in price I would advise new cu.

If you ever want any other circuits or modifications (new shower/cooker/socket outlets) or to sell your property - it makes it a lot easier

Last edited by a moderator:
The best option must surely be determined by what work the customer requires to be carried out. Changing the fuseboard to enable an extra socket to be fitted would be unfair on the customer unless they were first made aware of the available options.

I find UKSEL's rule of thumb is quite impractical myself!Code 4s like not having brown sleeving on on a line conductor at a switch or having socket or switch outlets outside the building regs hight requirements,to name but a few,shouldn't be a money spinner in a domestic sparks interpretation of the law!I'm all for advising on how to cut upgrade costs for the customer within the scope of BS7671.Although i did take my van into the garage the other day and got charged for the rubber gloves they had to wear while they fixed it!:eek:

it's not a money making scam, or i don't feel it unneccessary. changing an old fuse board to a new one which will comply is not a massive job.

also the guy isn't just putting a new socket in, he's running supply to a seperate building, which includes the provision for a new circuit, which would require a full test

i'd also add that he doesn't have any spare ways in his current distribution board which means you would be loading the supply with sockets lighting and whatever else is on the existing circuits. not only will these sockets be able to supply 240V to outside of the equipotential zone, it also wont offer any earth fault or current inbalance protection.

i again would strongly suggest upgrading the distribution board, either that or dont bother doing to work in the garage. i for one wouldn't be doing it any other way.

as for always chaging the board, i dont mean i wouldnt change a light fitting or socket face, of course these small remedial tasks wouldn't require such action, but if anything is to be changed or altered at the dis board, ie. new circuits etc.

i won't even do a periodic inspection on them, purely because if the **** does ever hit the fan, i've signed a piece of paper to say that the entire installation is 100% with no risk of death or injury what-so-ever, and i do not believe an installation of such age, with it's methods of protection can truly offer this.

upgrade upgrade upgrade

it's not a money making scam, or i don't feel it unneccessary. changing an old fuse board to a new one which will comply is not a massive job.

also the guy isn't just putting a new socket in, he's running supply to a seperate building, which includes the provision for a new circuit, which would require a full test

i'd also add that he doesn't have any spare ways in his current distribution board which means you would be loading the supply with sockets lighting and whatever else is on the existing circuits. not only will these sockets be able to supply 240V to outside of the equipotential zone, it also wont offer any earth fault or current inbalance protection.

i again would strongly suggest upgrading the distribution board, either that or dont bother doing to work in the garage. i for one wouldn't be doing it any other way.

as for always chaging the board, i dont mean i wouldnt change a light fitting or socket face, of course these small remedial tasks wouldn't require such action, but if anything is to be changed or altered at the dis board, ie. new circuits etc.

i won't even do a periodic inspection on them, purely because if the **** does ever hit the fan, i've signed a piece of paper to say that the entire installation is 100% with no risk of death or injury what-so-ever, and i do not believe an installation of such age, with it's methods of protection can truly offer this.

upgrade upgrade upgrade

Don`t get me wrong - I agree with most of what you say BUT refusing to do a PIR because of personal preferences could well be seen as unprofessional. A PIR is merely a report on the current condition of an installation after all.

The requirement for upgrades needs to be tempered with a great deal of common sense and good communication with the customer - which is why mine always use plain English not the `teccho babble` which is all too common amongst the scam artists (which, ironically, they probably don`t understand themselves!).:)

Its funny that any competent person can do a PIR.There's no need for registration but no cash from any remedials!Just the £147 in the bag for next to sod all tool work!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don`t get me wrong - I agree with most of what you say BUT refusing to do a PIR because of personal preferences could well be seen as unprofessional. A PIR is merely a report on the current condition of an installation after all.

The requirement for upgrades needs to be tempered with a great deal of common sense and good communication with the customer - which is why mine always use plain English not the `teccho babble` which is all too common amongst the scam artists (which, ironically, they probably don`t understand themselves!).:)

you're absolutely right. i've got to hold my hands up, i don't know why i said that really as i would carry out a PIR on an older installation. i would still recommend upgrading even the distribution board, or installing a safety switch incorporating an RCD between the meter and the CU and would explain the safety implications of leaving the board as it were.

and i would still not run power to an outbuilding from the CU. a landlords house i visited recently where the previous owner had been a DIY enthusiast, run everything off existing circuits willy nilly, including running 2.5 flex to a garage 25 meteres away (spurred of the existing ringmain) to feed about 6 double sockets, six double fluorescent fittings and two outside lights :yikes:

I can see this is now an old thread, and as such there will probably be better solutions offered to similar problems in other treads.. I'm new to this forum but find from reading this, no one has offered a confident final solution other than CU replacement.. which is fine, but as we all know the customer is not going to just turn around & ok this extent of work unless they have been considering it or have been stretching out the inevitable...

If a 100mA RCD is fitted between meter & CU (as 'uksel' suggested above) this would not only offer some form of RCD protection to the old fuse board, but also allow a distribution circuit to be added.. I.E. a run to a Garage Unit (E-GARAGE63, Denmans) which would b fitted with 30mA RCCB + MCBs for Additional Protection..

In typing this I have just realised that I have answered my own question.. why are you guys running away from this old fuse board?? because in fitting the RCD at Source we are now liable for the whole board!! understandably a good reason to fit whole new CU or walk... So why could we not insist on a full PIR first to highlight any existing faults; then fit as above with Installation Cert for New circuit. Allowing the customer to get us back to fit a New CU when they finally realize the they are now safer in the Garage than the house..

Im guessing it's down to cost, fitting a main RCD up front is not ideal but is a far cheeper option, still a little un clear as to if this non compliant or just not good practise.

Reply to running power to garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock