Discuss Safely split ceiling lamp for three bulbs. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Is the Amazon.de though going to suit my splitting needs? My naive self was envisioning more of a “spliter” configuration.

With the Amazon.de link here, would I be able to place L from the ceiling in one end and appropriately power three separate L for three bulbs on the other?

(I was under the impression that these connections were one to one where each of the four were separated. One for L, N, G…)

Yes you would use one connector for each conductor being spilt and place them in a suitable enclosure - dependent, of course, on Austrian wiring regulations. If splitting in three directions, then each incoming conductor would go in its own 4 way connector.

While ready made solutions exist, we don't know what sort of cable is being used and I'd be inclined to avoid no-name splitters sold on Amazon or eBay.

Is the Amazon.de though going to suit my splitting needs? My naive self was envisioning more of a “spliter” configuration.
You are making it more complicated than it is.
Each Wago just connects all the incoming/outgoing wires together.
Unless you are insanely OCD, you don't need incoming on one side and outgoing on the other. The electrons won't mind - you just need to connect all the lives, or earths, or neutrals, each with a separate Wago thus:
(example for the neutrals, you need to do the same for lives and earths!)
Safely split ceiling lamp for three bulbs. EC6EC310-E401-4700-BE8E-CB782732728A - EletriciansForums.net

You are making it more complicated than it is.
Each Wago just connects all the incoming/outgoing wires together.
Unless you are insanely OCD, you don't need incoming on one side and outgoing on the other. The electrons won't mind - you just need to connect all the lives, or earths, or neutrals, each with a separate Wago thus:
(example for the neutrals, you need to do the same for lives and earths!)
View attachment 103443
That one sentence helped me tremendously... "you don't need incoming on one side and outgoing on the other. The electrons won't mind"

And yeah, not OCD, but I am good at asking 5 questions to get 2 different confirmations on a topic I've never been proper mentored in - especially online.

So with all of that, if I were to grab two of these Wago connectors and just slam all of L in one and all of G in another, I would have me a solid set up then? As drawn in my 'professional' schematic below?

Attachments

• Safely split ceiling lamp for three bulbs. Lamps - EletriciansForums.net
    Lamps.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 14
No..

The neutral is used for the return path. The ground is a safety feature which should be connected to the metallic body of the fitting.
Duh… This is why I ask many questions.

(In fairness, I slipped up there because the electrician that ran the wiring in my apartment didn’t exactly stick to the same color throughout)

But yes, you’re* absolutely right.

So, I’m swapping N for G in my schematic above, then I’m good to go?
(Ground cable is essentially “not used” for all light fixtures in the house)

Last edited:
(Ground cable is essentially “not used” for all light fixtures in the house)
That is not the case in the UK. Regulations require the ground to be fed to each ceiling box where there will be a light. Then (in general terms), if a householder puts a metal light fitting up, they can connect the earth terminal on the fitting to the ground wire.
If any of your lights have a ground terminal then it should be used.
So if there are ground wires in your cables/conduit they should be connected together in a Wago just as the live and neutral will be.
I don't know what your regulations are on earthing, but it is a safety feature that you shouldn't ignore if it's supposed to be there!

And PS swapping N for G in your schematic is correct 👍

Makes sense.
In my truck, everything is always grounded.

Here, the ground cable is accessible, but hasn’t been used in any light fixtures in the apartment to date. As I’m the example of this unit here:Safely split ceiling lamp for three bulbs. 2D8F1DAC-18C8-4812-8A02-1117E20B73E1 - EletriciansForums.net

Alright - Lamps arrived. They have grounds.
Can I just connect their grounds to the ground in the ceiling *assuming that's grounded on the other end?

You're working under Austrian rules, but in the UK that assumption needs to be checked with the appropriate test equipment.
I'll have to ask my Austrian buddy. Thankfully I have my mulitmeter 8,000 miles away in my LA storage unit.

But regardless of UK or Austria, is it common to plug G to G the same way you plug L to L and N to N when using push connectors for lamp fixtures in ceilings?

is it common to plug G to G the same way you plug L to L and N to N when using push connectors for lamp fixtures in ceilings?
Yes, the grounds can be joined together in the same way as the lives and neutrals. The only difference is that the connector for the grounds isn't required to be inside an enclosure, like that for the lives and neutrals, but would normally be enclosed with the others.

Yes, the grounds can be joined together in the same way as the lives and neutrals. The only difference is that the connector for the grounds isn't required to be inside an enclosure, like that for the lives and neutrals, but would normally be enclosed with the others.
Interesting. I guess my next concern is the enclosure you're speaking of.

I don't have an enclosure for the Wago connectors.
I have an enclosure from the ceiling naturally for the extension cord I'll be connecting.

But once I get to the drift wood/lamp I've made, I was just going to neatly tuck the cabling out of sight (it hangs way overhead out of sight) Is it safe to just wrap the WAGO connector in electric tape?

Alright - tried to make it as clean as possible and it works great.
No housing for the WAGO connectors, but I wrapped em in a bit of electrical tape. What do you guys think?Safely split ceiling lamp for three bulbs. 1 - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• Safely split ceiling lamp for three bulbs. 22 - EletriciansForums.net
    22.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Safely split ceiling lamp for three bulbs. 3 - EletriciansForums.net
    3.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Safely split ceiling lamp for three bulbs. 4 - EletriciansForums.net
    4.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Safely split ceiling lamp for three bulbs. 55 - EletriciansForums.net
    55.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Safely split ceiling lamp for three bulbs. 7 - EletriciansForums.net
    7.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Safely split ceiling lamp for three bulbs. 66 - EletriciansForums.net
    66.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 8
We don’t know Austrian regs… so the need for an enclosure may not be the same as it is in UK. but the fact you can get WAGOs suggests you can get the boxes too.

Can you expand on the closure and why? What does the enclosure protect?
One of the principles of electrical safety is that no single failure should cause a hazard.
So cables have two layers of insulation, on the individual wires, and then a sheath over.
And when you come to join cables, you put all the single insulated wires in a box to provide the second layer of insulation, and this also means that if a live wire were to come out of a Wago connector, it would be contained within the box, and not be a hazard to someone touching it.
So in the UK it is mandatory to put wire joints in a suitable insulated box, including all single insulated wires, and anchor the cables.
You should not be able to see the single insulated coloured wires, or the connectors.
I imagine the regulations are the same where you are!

We don’t know Austrian regs… so the need for an enclosure may not be the same as it is in UK. but the fact you can get WAGOs suggests you can get the boxes too.
OOPS, didn’t spot that the post related to Australia

the advice I have given is still sound, it would be safer if contained in a box.
however I can’t comment on the wiring regulations down under so it may or may not be a legal requirement.

Reply to Safely split ceiling lamp for three bulbs. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock