Discuss School block Swa supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cliffed

-
Arms
Reaction score
What code would you give for a Swa supply 3p/N,95mm.
Supplies remote school block,2 storey,no main earth conductor,using sheath,the main earth bonding originates from this Swa,for this block,@ Main Panel board,& is 16 mm
The main earth @ origin is 120mm,Main bonding 50mm.
Cheers

What code would you give for a Swa supply 3p/N,95mm.
Supplies remote school block,2 storey,no main earth conductor,using sheath,the main earth bonding originates from this Swa,for this block,@ Main Panel board,& is 16 mm
The main earth @ origin is 120mm,Main bonding 50mm.
Cheers
What do you mean no main earth conductor?
You’ve just stated earthing conductor is 120mm
Using the armour for a cpc is acceptable if sized correctly.
What is the earthing arrangement?
Using the armour as a combined cpc/bonding conductor could be acceptable if say it’s TNS

Swa ,sheath used for main earth,the 120 mm Earth is at the origin intake of the school,this Swa is a sub main,to a remote block.
Tncs is the earthing system,185 mm Tails,120 mm Main Earth,50 mm earth bond.

Correct a cpc,my opinion is a code 2.
A main earth should have been installed with this Swa,to provide an adequate earth,& Main earth bonding.

Correct a cpc,my opinion is a code 2.
A main earth should have been installed with this Swa,to provide an adequate earth,& Main earth bonding.
Your opinion is flawed unless inspection and testing revel otherwise.
Have you carried out the appropriate inspection and testing to verify that the current set up is potentially dangerous?

Again it’s a CPC not a MAIN earth

What is the earth arrangement?
Does the distribution circuit have adequate fault protection by ADS for its respective ocpd?

Last edited:
Yea it’s a cpc the Swa is being used for Main Earth @ the Main Panel in the block.
It’s also being used for the Main earth bonding conductor.
The situation is not potentially dangerous,what are you going on about my opinion is flawed,
The earthing is Pme Tncs.

Yea it’s a cpc the Swa is being used for Main Earth @ the Main Panel in the block.
It’s also being used for the Main earth bonding conductor.
The situation is not potentially dangerous,what are you going on about my opinion is flawed,
The earthing is Pme Tncs.
I mean you can’t go on opinion, only by proof that it is potentially dangerous

Ok,it’s been in place since early 70’s,so no it’s not potentially dangerous.
The nitty gritty here is,the sub main to the block.
My opinion is it’s not correctly installed.
The cpc would be ok in protecting the Swa,but not ok to support Main earth bonding.
Code 2

Ok,it’s been in place since early 70’s,so no it’s not potentially dangerous.
The nitty gritty here is,the sub main to the block.
My opinion is it’s not correctly installed.
The cpc would be ok in protecting the Swa,but not ok to support Main earth bonding.
Code 2
But if you believe it’s not potentially dangerous how can you then code 2 it?

This is common in schools where new blocks have been put up.

I am guessing the OP is concerned more so about equipotential bonding in the block as this will need to meet the requirements of the size and nature of the supply and if my brain serves me correctly :rolleyes:, you cannot utilise the SWA sheath to satisfy this, it would need to be a dedicated core or a seperate conductor.... this is all assuming that equipotential bonding is required in the block itself?

It doesn't help and only confuses matters when you get muddled up with your terminology of how you describe the layout - it is a sub-main therefore using the term 'main earth' is incorrect as that is your primary earth conductor at the origin.

The PEN conductor and not the main tails would need to be 150mm or above for a requirement of a 50mm copper bonding conductor, so despite the fact it’s 50 mm in the main building could be down to an over specced original design and it maybe even larger than what is required.
It’s the PEN conductor which determines the required size of your bonding conductor however it’s most probably correct that your swa armour is going to be well undersized.
Sometimes you just have to assume it was designed correctly if you have no original design information, the existing building I mean and not the added block.

As above - you need to verify the requirements of the install and confirm them for us before we can comment, where required to be 50mm the equipotential bonding is there for safety reasons and is sized so to deal with network faults when associated with TNC based supplies, for example the N/E sheath of a PEN conductor suffers corrosion, this can lead to high resistance or even broken Neutral which can lead to high currents finding alternative paths through local installations.

EDIT- in answer, the SWA armour will probably be able to handle such a situation as it meets CSA compliance but falls short of regulations, this thus is not a safety issue but more so a compliance breach.

Reply to School block Swa supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock