Discuss Secondary Transformer Circuit Breaker in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I'm just curious about what will happen if I use an MCB lower than the calculated current rating. I have a 1kVA 220v stepdown to 110V transformer, calculated downstream MCB current rating would be 11.3625 if i'm right I multiplied the secondary current to 125%? what will happen if I use a lower MCB current rating?

Hi, I'm just curious about what will happen if I use an MCB lower than the calculated current rating. I have a 1kVA 220v stepdown to 110V transformer, calculated downstream MCB current rating would be 11.3625 if i'm right I multiplied the secondary current to 125%? what will happen if I use a lower MCB current rating?
MJ what size breaker do you have the primary is going to pull 4 amps and the secondary will pull 8.3 amps

MJ what size breaker do you have the primary is going to pull 4 amps and the secondary will pull 8.3 amps
I'm planning to put 6amps on primary whilst on secondary i'll put 10amps? I was thinking that the proper breaker size for the secondary would be 1000/115 = 8.69 x 1.25 = 10.69amps?

I'm planning to put 6amps on primary whilst on secondary i'll put 10amps? I was thinking that the proper breaker size for the secondary would be 1000/115 = 8.69 x 1.25 = 10.69amps?
MJB where are you getting the 125% from. That transformer is not going to withstand 10 amps. Divide 1000 by 110vac on the secondary and see what that transformer will withstand, it should be on the nameplate.

You don’t “put” the current on the primary. The amount of current that flows through the primary winding will be proportional to the current being drawn by the load in the secondary.

MJB where are you getting the 125% from. That transformer is not going to withstand 10 amps. Divide 1000 by 110vac on the secondary and see what that transformer will withstand, it should be on the nameplate.
Th
You don’t “put” the current on the primary. The amount of current that flows through the primary winding will be proportional to the current being drawn by the load in the secondary.
Tayler it is a 1000 watt transformer it is not going to withstand 10 amps, it will start running hot. I did the math for yall
[automerge]1567614974[/automerge]
Th
Tayler it is a 1000 watt transformer it is not going to withstand 10 amps, it will start running hot. I did the math for yal
Th

Tayler it is a 1000 watt transformer it is not going to withstand 10 amps, it will start running hot. I did the math for yall
Taylor no joke do you agree with him

Last edited:
I measured the output voltage of the secondary and it's 125V, calculating the current 1000/125 = 8Amps, by putting an MCB higher than 8amps, it would make the transformer hot right and burned eventually? To protect the transformer you would rather chose an MCB that's lower than 8amps? You're bloody spot on mate! Cheers on that!

Last edited:
All of this is irreverent if the OP want's to use the transformer for a fixed piece of equipment. It may only need 2A.

What is it you are wanting to use it for?

Fit an 8A breaker you'll be fine.

A 10A 24V power supply doesn't need more than 240 watts on the input side, so at 120V 2 amps maximum. PLC will likely require 1 amp maximum. An unless you've dozens of contactors using the 110V and not the 24v then this will be less than 2 amp of load.

Reply to Secondary Transformer Circuit Breaker in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock