Discuss Selling Electrical Items in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tropical1979

Hi, wonder if someone can help me! I run an ex catalogue shop and am thinking of stocking ex catalogue electrical items and electrical items that have been returned to stores such as asda, argos etc.

How can I make sure what I am selling is safe? I have tried searching the web but the info I can find is from trading standards, which hasn't got the answers to my questions. If I buy a PAT testing machine for a few hundred pounds would this suffice? Also I am thinking about doing a days course (which I have seen advertised) in using the machine.

I am presuming PAT testing will only show the item is electrically safe but wont show if it is working as it should be (such as a CD player that is safe but doesnt read the disc.

If anyone can help me I would be gratefull as this is my last ditch attempt at turning my shop around, credit crunch and all that!

Only way you could do it would be physically checking it is in all working order, PAT like you say will not show up faults with the elctronics and components.

Could be a nightmare, as I suspect most items returned will be fecked what with mass production and manufacturing quality decreasing

good luckk though:)

Thanks for your help. I would expect some of the items to have faults that I cant rectify but most of the items should be in working order. For these items as they have been out to customers I think I need to make sure they are safe. Would PAT testing cover this safety aspect. Im not thinking of selling items from car boots etc just returned items. Places like cash converters sell 2nd hand electrical items, so would the testing they do to comply with the law be a simple PAT test?

PAT testing will, as others have said, indicate electrical safety. Whether the item does what it says on the tin is another matter. Under the sale of goods act you will need to be selling items of merchandisable quality and fit for the use and purpose for which they were intended.
A brief test of the item's functions will show, in most cases, whether there is a problem, and many of the problems can be quite easily rectified (have a mate who buys container loads of this sort of stuff). Be prepared to lose a few as knackered but keep them aside for possible spare parts.
Best advice, from my mate, make an appointment with local trading standards, explain to them what you intend doing and how you intend doing it and ask them what they think of the idea and what recommendations they can make. Keep a note of the persons name and details of the meeting.
The suggestion they came up with for my mate was giving three months guarantee, as they were ex catalogue.
Good luck with the project.

Reply to Selling Electrical Items in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net