Discuss Series parallel motor starter with auto off proximity sensor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All
A while ago a customer asked us to move a 1970s single phase corn mill and return it to use.
It had an old series parallel starter with a lever on it ..which we replaced with a crompton controls series 3000 starter...all good and running.

Now they had another ip rated box attached to the original starter with a 230v relay and a brodersen unic xw electronic timer (release delay,on pulse,off pulse,on off pulse) plus a 230v 2 wire proximity sensor on the mill hopper....they said it was used to switch the mill off when the corn ran out to prevent damaged rollers and they would ideally like it reinstated.
Problem was this stuff was bypassed when we got to it (the proximity sensor was found to be u/s).. and we have of course changed the starter to series 3000.

So I have done a couple of drawings .. but I can't seem to get it to work.

I'm thinking that the xw time delay is there to start the motor via the relay and get it milling until the proximity sensor see's the corn ...holding on the relay itself.. then drops out leaving the proximity sensor keeping it running ... when the proximity stops seeing corn it drops the relay stopping the motor.

So... am I on the right track here..can anyone give me a sketch for this..?..I can post more details on each item if required as I have the series 3000 diagram the relay diagram the unic xw diagram. .the proximity sensor is just 2 wire..

Cheers

Vito

If the sensor does not have an adjustable off delay itself, then I would think that the sensor triggered the timer (configured as an off delay) and kept it triggered, and the timer output alone controlled the starter. That would enable it to ride out any gaps in the corn flow including at start-up as you mention, before timing out and stopping.

When the motor had a manual drum-starter, the timer contacts would have held the NVR coil; now they would presumably be in series with the stop button. The trick is in how to trigger the timer to begin with, to allow it to start. With the manual starter, a contact in the start position might have been used. I'm guessing here, by all means post some pics to help us out.

FWIW we had one of these single-phase 2-stage starters under scrutiny a fortnight ago, where the NTC thermistor for the run contactor had broken apart. Also, if you have the old drum starter, I'm needing an example for the museum!

Yes what are the chances.

The proximity sensor does not have a delay.

I have the cover of the old starter with its diagram on the inside I could post...your welcome to the bits.

I will post some pics and my attempt drawing tomorrow.

Thanks for your interest!

If you search for a company called “proxyswitch” they make a really simple, robust time delay switch in the U.K. I use these on most of the grain handling installs I do. They make low voltage and mains versions.
On a side note I priced a 68A series parallel Crompton starter from CEF & KEW, KEW where £200 cheaper!

If you search for a company called “proxyswitch” they make a really simple, robust time delay switch in the U.K. I use these on most of the grain handling installs I do. They make low voltage and mains versions.
On a side note I priced a 68A series parallel Crompton starter from CEF & KEW, KEW where £200 cheaper!
Sorry but I don't know how to edit posts! company is called proxswith, no Y.
DOL 40 Series are the other ones we use for grain handling installations.
[automerge]1577183967[/automerge]
If the sensor does not have an adjustable off delay itself, then I would think that the sensor triggered the timer (configured as an off delay) and kept it triggered, and the timer output alone controlled the starter. That would enable it to ride out any gaps in the corn flow including at start-up as you mention, before timing out and stopping.

When the motor had a manual drum-starter, the timer contacts would have held the NVR coil; now they would presumably be in series with the stop button. The trick is in how to trigger the timer to begin with, to allow it to start. With the manual starter, a contact in the start position might have been used. I'm guessing here, by all means post some pics to help us out.

FWIW we had one of these single-phase 2-stage starters under scrutiny a fortnight ago, where the NTC thermistor for the run contactor had broken apart. Also, if you have the old drum starter, I'm needing an example for the museum!
I have to service a few of the manual rotary ones each year, if I replace any I will let you knowSeries parallel motor starter with auto off proximity sensor IMG_2142.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:

Reply to Series parallel motor starter with auto off proximity sensor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock