Discuss Service fuse and isolator installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MrJames

Hello everyone I'm new here and looking for a little advice...

What I'm looking at doing is replacing both our CU's at some point but for now I just need to replace the small secondary one
I called the DNO earlier and they've told me the only way they'll come out and remove the service fuse is in an emergency otherwise it's just an
electrician to remove it and they'll re-seal it on next meter reading.

So going on that I'll yank it myself.... CU's will be off insulated gloves and goggles will be worn and next door neighbour will do it for me if I wimp out lol!
There isn't anything nasty to watch for on these fuse carriers is there?

Here is the current setup....

Service fuse and isolator installation 20120807145936 - EletriciansForums.net

Ideally I'd like to isolate both CU's separately as the secondary one feeds an outside workshop and will have a few sockets under the stairs for servers.

My plan is to isolate after the henley block, problem I'm is finding it hard to find a single pole isolator so unless someone has some suggestions should I just use a 2 pole one for each CU?

Many thanks in advance for advice or help :cyclist:

What I'm looking at doing is replacing both our CU's at some point but for now I just need to replace the small secondary one
I called the DNO earlier and they've told me the only way they'll come out and remove the service fuse is in an emergency otherwise it's just an
electrician to remove it and they'll re-seal it on next meter reading.

So going on that I'll yank it myself.... CU's will be off insulated gloves and goggles will be worn and next door neighbour will do it for me if I wimp out lol!

Well I don't know who your DNO is but it is illegal to cut the seals on any DNO equipment without prior authorization or in a emergency (DB on fire, unable to isolate elctric elsewhere safely etc).

"There isn't anything nasty to watch for on these fuse carriers is there?"
Possibly asbestos, you should not use a single pole isolator. This is really not a job for the uninitiated mate, think very carefully whether you want to go ahead with it. Do you have access to and know how to use calibrated test equipment?

Well I don't know who your DNO is but it is illegal to cut the seals on any DNO equipment without prior authorization or in a emergency (DB on fire, unable to isolate elctric elsewhere safely etc).

DNO is Southern Electric I called them earlier to ask them about coming and fitting an isolator and they told me directly what I've said in my first post they only come and remove the service fuse in an emergency :lipsrsealed2:

What would they have used asbestos in for the the fuse carrier?

And yes I realise I shouldn't use a single pole was trying to avoid touching anything before the meter but just clicked the secondary CU neutral is fed directly from the service head so would get away with isolating the neutral....

I wouldn't be touching the main CU will get someone in to change that for a newer one just the secondary one I'll be attacking but thought I'd get the isolators in now to make it easier later on if it's anything to go by my neighbour offered to change the secondary CU while live lol.

Hello MrJames and welcome. It's very dangerous pulling the fuse even as a fully qualified electrical engineer. That's why most visiting DNO engineers will wear some form of arc flash protection gear. I'm very interested to know, what is the DNO telephone number that you dialled in which you were given the advice that an electrician could pull the fuse? Your OP suggests a change of policy so we'd all be very interested to hear.

- - - Updated - - -

Posting overlap. But what was the telephone number?

I believe you have to contact your supplier (British gas, npower etc) to fit the isolator, I recently enquired about this for a customer and that is what I found.

DNO is Southern Electric

What would they have used asbestos in for the the fuse carrier?

And yes I realise I shouldn't use a single pole

I wouldn't be touching the main CU

offered to change the secondary CU while live lol.
Southern Electric must have softened their stance somewhat, usually they go by the usual DNO mantra "Do Not Touch Our Equipment.
"They" wouldn't have used asbestos in the fuse carrier it may have been manufactured with it installed.
I'm confused, Why mention a single pole isolator knowing you need a double pole?
Changing either CU is notifiable Mr James.
Never ever work live when there is no reason to.
I suspect that someone at the DNO has, out of ignorance/stupidity given you incorrect information. They normally take a dim view of anyone, even a qualified electrician playing with their toys so they're likely to take an even dimmer view of an enthusiastic amateur.
As I said before, this is not a job for the uninitiated.

Ahhhh for some reason what I wanted to write contains forbidden words and I'm limited on URL's it may contain..... not helpful when I can't see it containing either!

Southern Electric is part of the SSE group and they have a specific procedure for properties within the Southern Electric distribution area to allow qualified and approved electricians to advise them in advance that they are going to remove the service cut out fuse and reseal with labels supplied by them.

It is not that they will allow any electrician to remove the cut out fuse only that specific electricians may be authorised to do this in accordance with their procedure.
If you were to remove the cut out fuse this would be considered illegal by Southern Energy.
It can also be highly dangerous, I cannot recommend that you try this approach.

Hmmm still not letting me post the numbers guess I need to hit 6 posts first? Maybe the easier option to all this for now is to use the old cooker feed that was for the old electric cooker..... I just want some plug sockets under the stairs surely it can't be this hard?

Hmmm still not letting me post the numbers guess I need to hit 6 posts first? Maybe the easier option to all this for now is to use the old cooker feed that was for the old electric cooker..... I just want some plug sockets under the stairs surely it can't be this hard?
Smells like a wind up now.
Ok Mr James, "It can't be this hard"
Why do you think it takes a long apprtenticeship to become a qualified electrician?
What do you know of safe isolation procedures?
What do you know of maximum demand and diversity?
What do you know of cable selection methods and derating factors?
Initial verification inspection and testing?
Certification and notification?
That's just a few to be going on with.

When I said it can't be this hard I was referring to getting someone to agree it's their responsibility to remove the service fuse which seems to be rather difficult.... and timing consuming at the moment.

All I'm really after at the moment is 2 dual sockets under the stairs as the old cooker circuit was a large 30amp one and now only has the cooker's pilot and 2 sockets on it there shouldn't really be an issue using it should there?

Reply to Service fuse and isolator installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock