Discuss Service fuse and isolator installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dare I suggest you get a competent, registered electrician is as this is Part P notifiable work??

I called a couple of electricians earlier and both were unsure over pulling the service fuse might try calling southern electric tomorrow and try talk them into installing an isolator.... Think I saw smoke coming from the meter it's an emergency think you should install an isolator in case it happens again or something goes wrong :p

Don't bother claiming there's a fault with the meter, you could end up with a hefty call out bill. Just get them to fit an Isolator then any future upgrades can easily be done without touching the suppliers equipment, it shouldn't cost too much.

I just called them again and got given yet another number to call for an office that is currently closed try get them them to fit one :(

At this rate I'll have an entire collection of southern electric contact numbers :bomb:

SSE do let registered electrical contractors cut seals, and provide them with tempoary sealsfor this purpose

They do not let people cut seals willy nilly

I would respectfully point out that if you are having to ask such questions on an open forum you should leave this task to somoeone more qaulified.

Remeber this fuse before the cut out will be at the substation and could be from 300A to 500A. This is something you should not be touching under any circumstances

It's ok don't worry I get the message that I shouldn't be pulling the fuse myself...

I spoke to my neighbour and he's happy to pull it for me providing there aren't any seals present. Or as I said earlier failing that he'll remove the tails while live and into an isolator
I trust his judgement he's removed them before plus he deals with much bigger for his work :)

Pity you didn’t pester your neighbour first before bothering others with your Jackanory stories.

Thank you for your constructive post you can now go back to what ever you were doing.... Hopefully not asking for advice on other forums for things you aren't sure about.

I'm guessing you're talking about the second CU? And the fact the neutral comes directly from the service head? Rather than going through the meter?

I think the sentiment is unanimous, you shouldn't be pulling the fuse and performing notifiable work without being a competent person and having the correct test equipment.

It's ok don't worry I get the message that I shouldn't be pulling the fuse myself...

Reply to Service fuse and isolator installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net