Discuss Setting Motor Overload in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,

How do you set a motor overload? I have read that you set it at the FLA of the motor but also that you should consider service factor. Which is correct? Thanks.
Mike if the service factor is 1.15 you take the FLA times 125% and that’s the amperage you set your overloads. What is the service factor
[automerge]1568308840[/automerge]
Mike if the service factor is 1.15 you take the FLA times 125% and that’s the amperage you set your overloads. What is the service factor
All other motors are 115% times the FLA

Last edited:
Single or three phase?

Motor rating? (Kw)

Power factor?

Etc etc etc

[automerge]1568308840[/automerge]

All other motors are 115% times the FLA

In the US with Nema starters maybe.

Here you set the O/L to the FLC unless your working in a museum with dashpot overloads. Modern thermal O/L’s take in to account transient over current.

Single or three phase?

Motor rating? (Kw)

Power factor?

Etc etc etc
Stop confusing the OP Strima, no wonder he did a runner
[automerge]1568312503[/automerge]
Stop confusing the OP Strima, no wonder he did a runner
Apologies OP I didn't note you were a trainee. Perhaps if you had worded your question a bit better with more background people might have shown some sympathy, me included.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for all your replies! It looks like the answer is different in the US and UK then?

I don't have a specific motor that I am working with, I am just looking to understand how to set one for each situation really. I really want to learn and have a lot of questions that don't get answered at work. I have been unluckily working with people who aren't that interesting in sharing their knowledge (or probably don't actually know).

So in the UK we can just set it to the FLA of the motor but in the US you have to take in to consideration the service factor? Is that correct? What about the other things mentioned above, power factor and Kw's etc?

Also now I'm wondering why its different in the US from the UK? Anyone know?

Ok thanks for all your replies! It looks like the answer is different in the US and UK then?

I don't have a specific motor that I am working with, I am just looking to understand how to set one for each situation really. I really want to learn and have a lot of questions that don't get answered at work. I have been unluckily working with people who aren't that interesting in sharing their knowledge (or probably don't actually know).

So in the UK we can just set it to the FLA of the motor but in the US you have to take in to consideration the service factor? Is that correct? What about the other things mentioned above, power factor and Kw's etc?

Also now I'm wondering why its different in the US from the UK? Anyone know?
Mike Yes on service factors and instead of KW on motors we use the HP but there are so many motors out there and yes 3 phase or single phase makes a difference. Also there is a huge difference between the UK and US with the difference in voltages and calculations, services to homes are a whole lot different. If you want to learn the USA standards go on line and get you a NEC 2020 edition if it’s come out yet. We change every 3 years so you could get 2017 edition. Welcome

Reply to Setting Motor Overload in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock