Discuss Singles in conduit underground - Any reason why not ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've been called in to complete a job started by someone else and I just wanted to ask the following:

Basically it's to provide power to a garage and then on to provide power to a Summer House. What has been done already is a PVC conduit has been buried under the patio between the main house and the garage (Distance approx 1m). This conduit continues under the kitchen floor and then up about a metre inside a wall to the consumer unit. Total distance is about 6-7m. A 2.5mm T&E cable has then been threaded through the conduit to the garage. However this cable isn't good enough for the total power requirement that the client now requires. I've calculated out that I need to put in a 4mm cable. Now I think I've got a few options. I don't like the idea of trying to feed a 4mm T&E through 7m of conduit, SWA just won't be flexible enough, so I'm left with TUFF cable or singles (2 x 4mm + 1 x 1.5mm).

Given the distance, and the fact the conduit is only outdoors under a patio, is there any reason why I couldn't feed singles to the garage ? I know I have to protect these conductors where they come out of the wall and into the consumer unit, but that's no biggy. Any regs that could stop be from doing that ? The conduit that's been used is 20mm.

I've been called in to complete a job started by someone else and I just wanted to ask the following:

Basically it's to provide power to a garage and then on to provide power to a Summer House. What has been done already is a PVC conduit has been buried under the patio between the main house and the garage (Distance approx 1m). This conduit continues under the kitchen floor and then up about a metre inside a wall to the consumer unit. Total distance is about 6-7m. A 2.5mm T&E cable has then been threaded through the conduit to the garage. However this cable isn't good enough for the total power requirement that the client now requires. I've calculated out that I need to put in a 4mm cable. Now I think I've got a few options. I don't like the idea of trying to feed a 4mm T&E through 7m of conduit, SWA just won't be flexible enough, so I'm left with TUFF cable or singles (2 x 4mm + 1 x 1.5mm).

Given the distance, and the fact the conduit is only outdoors under a patio, is there any reason why I couldn't feed singles to the garage ? I know I have to protect these conductors where they come out of the wall and into the consumer unit, but that's no biggy. Any regs that could stop be from doing that ? The conduit that's been used is 20mm.
I would install 6.0mm singles. easily enough to pull in.

Would have thought steel con/ducting would have been better for underground myself.

Be sure to check conduit fill so ensure you're not exceeding, I can't see it but it pays to be diligent

Would have thought steel con/ducting would have been better for underground myself.

Be sure to check conduit fill so ensure you're not exceeding, I can't see it but it pays to be diligent
RUST FILLED PATIO?

Steel is ok

Never heard of plastic being used underground, there'd be the risk of going through it
i have 20ft. of kopex under the patio with 5 singles in it. been there 10 years no problems.

Good tie on, plenty of lube and you should be able to pull a 4mm T&E through using the existing 2.5mm as a draw surely? Least that way it's got an extra layer of protection.

PVC singles and twin and earth are not suitable for being immersed in water for long periods.
Can you with any certainty confirm that the conduit will remain dry and not filled with water?

It's a poor job that you are trying to fix, i understand that, but make sure it wont become a pain in your backside.

What kind of decorative order is the kitchen in? I'm wondering if it is remotely conceivable to excavate a very small section of floor to alter the conduit so it rises inside the house, go through the wall, joint box, gland on SWA and and use catenary for the 1m span to garage....

Reply to Singles in conduit underground - Any reason why not ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock