Discuss Size Guide for imperial aluminium SWA in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

michaelg5

Evening everyone. Been a long time lurker on the forums but I need some help & guidance.

I am about to do some work on a large industrial premises which the client wants to re-use the existing sub mains. After many discussions about replacing them they have decided to retain them. My issue is that some need to be pulled back and re-terminated but I have been unable to confirm the size of them. Is there a way (like with metric cables) to determine this (Roughly) from the overall diameter of the cable?

The cables in question are all 4 core Aluminium SWA cables (The only markings on them are Pirelli/General Electric 600/1100v.)

I have 2 diameters, one is 72mm the other is 60mm (In hindsight maybe I should of measured them in inches!!)

It wasn't until after using a manufacturers data for the current metric equivalent that I thought they will probably be imperial and without the correct size will cause me a problem when it comes to the glanding.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Michael

SWA glands have quite a bit of latitude as far as cable size goes. e.g. a 25L gland will do 10mm - 16mm with ease, so you should have no trouble getting glands to fit.

look here. the cable sizes quoted in the table are conductor csa.

https://swacable.net/swa-cable-gland.html

Last edited:
Hi Pete. Unfortunatley not although might have a route around on site, you never know the last tenants might have left them lying about somewhere (Just not it in the switch room!!!!)

Thanks telectrix. I suppose the glands will probably not the biggest issue, but making sure the termination box will accept the core sizes.

might not be imperial ? 4c cables to bs6346 4c x 150 =50mm od. 4c x185 = 54.9 4c x 240 = 60.9 4c x 300 =66.6 .Cables to bs 5467 ( xlpe ) are about 3mm less .What are you using to measure o.d.

Are the cables aluminium armour or steel armour? If it's the old aluminium armour then glands might be an issue and if they're imperial then I'd suggest keeping the old glands for reuse.
Size Guide for imperial aluminium SWA 4c-x-25-aluminium - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Hi Marvo. They are steel wire. Assuming the photo you have posted is alu armour, the cables I have look like standard armouring not like the pic.

Thanks Shanky. I assume that the table on there is for the conductor as opposed to the overall cable? Looks like another trip to site with a digital caliper tomorrow!!

Thanks Shanky. I assume that the table on there is for the conductor as opposed to the overall cable? Looks like another trip to site with a digital caliper tomorrow!!
i wouldn't trust the outer diamiter because different manufacturers will use varing thicknesses of insulation etc

You need a vernier guage ( not expensive now ) i got the data from bicc cables an tables so might be a mm or 2 diff. but thats all,,your problem might be lugs and crimper as the nest/palm is different depending on cable size and core configeration ie 2c 3c 4c

You need a vernier guage ( not expensive now ) i got the data from bicc cables an tables so might be a mm or 2 diff. but thats all,,your problem might be lugs and crimper as the nest/palm is different depending on cable size and core configeration ie 2c 3c 4c
most digital are the same as a vernier except there digital rather than having dials.

most have a zero button on as well so technically they can be more accurate

Hi Pete. Unfortunatley not although might have a route around on site, you never know the last tenants might have left them lying about somewhere (Just not it in the switch room!!!!)

It's a pain when you don't have any past references to go by, good luck in your hunt, sorry I can't help you any, not worked with much SWA Ally

digital vernier in inches and mm from lidl.£7.99.

Last edited:

Reply to Size Guide for imperial aluminium SWA in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock