Discuss SJIB/JIB Approved Electrician card renew in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

boogaloo

Hey Guys, my JIB approved electrician expired in 2001. I enquired about getting it renewed and one of the requirements is a 17th edition update course. The SJIB in Scotland reccommended a course by SELECT which is -
Requirements for Electrical Installations BS 7671 : 2008 (IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition)

Sorry about the formatting, I cut and pasted it.
Has anyone done this course? It is a one day course. Is there an exam at the end of it?
Any info on this would be appreciated.
thanks

Hey Guys, my JIB approved electrician expired in 2001. I enquired about getting it renewed and one of the requirements is a 17th edition update course. The SJIB in Scotland reccommended a course by SELECT which is -
Requirements for Electrical Installations BS 7671 : 2008 (IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition)

Sorry about the formatting, I cut and pasted it.
Has anyone done this course? It is a one day course. Is there an exam at the end of it?
Any info on this would be appreciated.
thanks

You will also need to do your ECS exam as well unless you have one of the exemptions.

My bad .but how come we have to do an Exam to prove we can jockey the Big Red Book but those Jocks dont :p

I couldn't care less about colour or creed but since when did farting about on a days course replace an exam?

More dilution of the workforce and I don't say that to offend anyone.

It's in the same vein as the NAPIT open-book '2391' !!

I don't know about North of the border.
Down south, or my neck of the woods Dahn Sarf, my understanding is that the update is for people who have done the 16th recently.
As such you should have a good understanding of using the Regs. book, and the both the exam and the course is shorter than that for the full monty.

I couldn't care less about colour or creed but since when did farting about on a days course replace an exam?

More dilution of the workforce and I don't say that to offend anyone.

It's in the same vein as the NAPIT open-book '2391' !!

Eh ??? I wasn't having a go at Scottish people by asking why they didn't have to do an exam for the 17th.

I was just enquiring because even on a 1 day update you have to do an exam unless I heard wrong.

I certainly wasn't implying that you were 'having a go' John, I was trying to make the point that where you live should not alter industry requirements for grading etc.

Can anyone find evidence of an exam on the link that I posted?

oh my bad IQ been drinking and read your post wrong mate

But yeah totally agree that the same qualification Criteria should be equal no matter where someone takes it otherwise what's the point

As they say a Chain is only as strong as it's weakest link and if you're allowed to to take a book into a closed book exam or don't have to take an exam for a Qual that demands an exam then whats the point of having said qualification/s.

I don't know about North of the border.
Down south, or my neck of the woods Dahn Sarf, my understanding is that the update is for people who have done the 16th recently.
As such you should have a good understanding of using the Regs. book, and the both the exam and the course is shorter than that for the full monty.

Yes if you did the 2381-2001 16th then you only need to do the 1 day upgrade which does have the 30 question 1 hour exam.

Not sure how the SJIB work, but in the soft England to regain the OP's approved status he will need the 2391-10 if not already have, and may even have to get a letter from an employer that he sill hold a supervisory role.

I wasn't sure about the 2391, I have been told that it is a requirement for re-newall of approved status, which is why I was curious as to if he had it.

A lad who use to work for me went for his upgrade from Installation electrician to approved at the JIB. He was told that approved status would need 2391-10 for a new upgrade, and if you had a lapsed JIB card then that also would be rquired.

I know this only becasue even after he got the 2391-10 the JIB wanted a reference that he had held a supervisory role, and he asked me to do him one. So the JIB are quite intense on this.

I finished my apprenticeship in 1984 (City and Guild 236 Parts 1 and 2) and did a 16th edition test sometime after that, if I remember correctly. I called up the JIB in England and asked when my old JIB approved electrician card expired. I was told it expired in 2000. After calling the SJIB for details of which courses I needed to do to get a new card, I was told to to the ECS Assessment and this Select course. If I understand correctly, some people might have me be regraded as a labourer, even though I have been carting my sparks tools around with me for over 25 years.

Reply to SJIB/JIB Approved Electrician card renew in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net