Discuss Smart Heating System - Heatmiser or other? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

rG-tom

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a slightly mish-mash heating set up, in that downstairs I have wet underfloor heating with an individual thermostat per room, but upstairs it's a single thermostat for the entire floor with normal radiators with TRVs. I want to be able to control the temperature in each room individually, and importantly, have different timers on each room. IE if I'm working from home, there's no point in heating the lounge during the day!

Setup:

1. Boiler - Greenstar 30CDi
  2. Heating and hot water programmable controller - Horstmann ChannelPlus H37XL - three zones, downstairs, upstairs, water. Currently can't control times for each thermostat, only those three "zones". Wired to boiler, not wireless.
  3. Downstairs - Wet underfloor heating
    • 6x Wired Towerstat RS analogue thermostats. manifold for each zone with "ambiente" wired actuators
  4. Upstairs -
    1. 8 "normal" radiators with TRVs,
    2. 3 Towel rail radiators with controllable valves of some type but don't look like the TRVs, presume they're just on/off valves.
    3. Single Wired Honeywell analogue thermostat controlling entire floor.
  5. Hot water - 250 litre water tank (OSO Indirect 250) that is fed by boiler but also has an immersion heater.
My current thoughts:

1) Remove the three-zone timer completely.

2) Add 1x controller for hot water using the existing wiring from the Horstmann 3 zone (1x Heatmiser neoStat-hw V2 - Hot Water Programmer)
3) Close the circuit on the upstairs and downstairs loops that were attached to the horstmann 3 zone controller so they're "always on" - if I understand correctly this will make it completely controlled by the thermostats?
4) Replace all of the dumb thermostats with wired smart ones that can have their own time and temp settings. (7x Heatmiser neoStat V2 - Programmable Thermostat)
5) Add smart TRVs to each radiator, thus making every single room upstairs its own zone (problem - heatmeiser don't make TRVs, what is the most reliable brand of TRVs without subscription costs to add in that I could potentially tie back in using home assistant or similar?)

Other options I have explored:

Tado
Also a good option but a lot more expensive per thermostat, and also they have subscription costs?

Nest
Way too expensive, doesn't do TRVs

Hive
Only six zones?

Honeywell
Need to do more digging, they do seem to be the "industrial" choice so most likely to meet all requirements?

Is there anything I'm missing/overlooking? I'm assuming that this would be comfortably achievable for a DIY that has a basic understanding of how to re-wire things, is that a poor assumption? If not, does anyone have a recommended Heatmiser installer in north Bedfordshire that could help?

Thanks!

TL;DR
mish-mash of wet underfloor heating and TRV rads, best system?
My guess as to why there hasn't been a response? Is what you are asking is for is a 'work' level of assessment... For that, you would best be served by hiring someone.... I'm not in Bedford, and it's likely not DIY appropriate as a skillset requirement. All the best if you are still looking.

Reply to Smart Heating System - Heatmiser or other? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net