Discuss Smart Meter Tripping RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Thought I would throw my tenant's problem regards Smart Meters (SM) into the mix, in the hope someone could maybe suggest what is going on?

May 2016 - tenants switch to E.org - no problem.
March 2017 - had Liberty 100 PAYG SM (top-Up via App) installed and immediately the RCD/fusebox starts tripping intermittently - every few hours, every day, after few days - see picture.
April 2017 - I contacted E.org and they stated that SM not cause switches to trip, fault is fusebox. Accept what they say.

Tripping continues and tenants check and monitor if appliances causing problem. None found.
BG electricians check home electrics 4 times and state domestic side and RCD all ok - Dec 2017, Aug 2018, Sept 2018 and Oct 2018.

After much elimination find Cause???!!!
Customer Top Up - when tenant tops up via app and then a few minutes later credit shows up on phone, then RCD immediately trips.
Supplier reading - after informing E.org about above and they do On Demand reading from their end, then RCD immediately trips.

E.org change SM Oct 2018 and tripping now worse.
BG check after SM change and state domestic side and RCD all ok.
E.org state that fault is RCD as have changed SM and thus are insistent they are not at fault.
BG believe it is SM, so I am between a rock and hard place.
Requested E.org replace SM with Dumb Meters as a way of eliminating or confirming SM is cause of tripping, but will only do if I pay.

Now starting case with Energy Ombudsman… And tenants’ life not good as now 3/4 times a day have to reset RCD.
Any ideas/advice?

Smart Meter Tripping RCD Liberty 100 SM next to RCD - EletriciansForums.net

Probably not the kind of advice I should be posting on the publicly viewable forum but I'd either relocate the meter a greater distance from the CU or I'd wrap the CU in thick tin foil with a bonding wire attached to it and see if the nuisance tripping stops. Obviously isolate, and do a risk assessment first etc.

Smart meters can have fairly powerful WAN transmitters and even GSM transmitters which could cause issues with RCD's if in very close proximity.

the only way to cause an imbalance on a downstream RCD is to cause a leak from one of its outgoing live conductors. Even if there is a neutral-earth fault downstream, there would still be no leak as long as there is no potential difference between earth and neutral.
If the smart meter could cause a change the potential on the neutral above earth, it would cause an imbalance in the presence of a N-E fault.
Has someone actually IR tested the neutral bar with main switch off to the MET with the main earth and all bonding and cpcs connected?

the only way to cause an imbalance on a downstream RCD is to cause a leak from one of its outgoing live conductors. Even if there is a neutral-earth fault downstream, there would still be no leak as long as there is no potential difference between earth and neutral.
If the smart meter could cause a change the potential on the neutral above earth, it would cause an imbalance in the presence of a N-E fault.
Has someone actually IR tested the neutral bar with main switch off to the MET with the main earth and all bonding and cpcs connected?

I’ve given you a disagree because lose connections on the supply side can and do trip rcds

Will request tenant send me pic with fuseboard cover open. And reason taken so long from initial problem starting immediately when change to SM in March 2017 and going to Energy Ombudsman now is that we also could not believe top up cause RCD trip - but it is true! Also, please see below BG report picture from 11 Oct 2018.

Smart Meter Tripping RCD elecforum BGReport - EletriciansForums.net

I’ve given you a disagree because lose connections on the supply side can and do trip rcds
Agree completely, that's why I said "cause an imbalance" because I know there are other ways to trip an RCD.
I just wanted to get the obvious question about whether it was tested properly out of the way!
Given the BG guy has written "power trips out" which is useless without saying what trips (presumably the RCD), I wouldn't be sure they had an eye for precision.

This is a situation crying out for more in-depth testing,including data logging,etc.
I hold minimal faith,in BG being capable of delivering this...

I have asked E.org what the mobile phone signal strength is when they installed the 1st and 2nd SM. The house is in a poor signal area. Would the need to boost the signal from the SM cause interference in the CU?
Will get tenant to take pic when next trip.

Reply to Smart Meter Tripping RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock