Discuss Smoke Alarm's in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

So what happens if its accidentally knocked off at the board? or the breaker fails?

you wouldn't be aware until your burning to death and wondering why the smoke alarm failed to go off, regardless of what the regs say i see it as bad practice
Ever heard of a battery back up? :lipsrsealed2:

No i have not, is this a new thing?

So.. breaker gets knocked off and battery runs flat, so it starts bleeping, what do you think the average idiotic customer does? yes thats right... takes the battery out

So how does the smoke alarm operate in the event of a fire with no mains supply and no battery back up?

I remember now why i had to leave this forum for a while....

So.. breaker gets knocked off and battery runs flat, so it starts bleeping, what do you think the average idiotic customer does? yes thats right... takes the battery out

So how does the smoke alarm operate in the event of a fire with no mains supply and no battery back up?

they stick some selotape over the detector to make the beeping quiet lmao

Ok mate can you tell barratt homes that please!!!!

Never missed you to be honest but as your here now I will say =Hello nice to see you. Mike

Ive always wired the smokes back to the DB and double it up with a lighting circuit, if the customer ever requires them to be on a seperate circuit, its easily achieved.

However if you had them pulled off a random lighting point, you have no other options for them to ever be seperate should it be required, i totally agree with the above about being on the lighting circuit as you would be aware you had no lighting and would rectify the issue, basically forcing smoke alarms on people, because as sad as it is, people take the batterys out to stop them bleeping they are the ones who usually burn to death for the sake of a ÂŁ1 battery
I would dismiss you if you did that, No need to have 2 phase conductors in a breaker these days on a new install, continuing the lighting circuit and adding the smokes is quite normal by some and I won't argue that, but purposely doubling up pretty poor IMO. For what it is worth and it may not be much I always add fire detection on it's own circuit, that said I have no issue with fire detection on lighting circuits.

Sacked for two conductors in a breaker? what harm does it really do?! I take it you are not referring to rings aswel!
LOL, I bet my misses it would take 2 mins to get a response, it took 4, I lost, looks Like I am doing the washing up haha

Can't mess with aicos. I have to smother the things to keep them quite.

I normally scare my customers by telling them a true story. One job I went to, the customer had only an alarm clock plugged in an extension lead. In the middle of the extension lead cable something happened and caught fire. I was told the tenant actually came back in the house 15min after leaving to get something. That's when he heard the smokes gone off. He went upstairs and saw the carpet on flames. He had to throw a bucket of water on it.

Pretty sure on any new install it's required to be on its own circuit. Not sure about an addition tho ?, can't remember where I read this but electricians guide to the building regs springs to mind ?

Its only recommended to fit mains smoke alarms on there own mcb, if they have no means of battery backup a Grade E system or the detector has no separate connection base. So with Aico, having its own termination base and battery backup to Grade D, power maybe supplied from either lighting circuit or its own mcb...choice is yours...Please guys remember these are Part 6 detectors for private dwellings and not for commercial shops, offices, pubs or Petrol stations, as Shell have just been fined for from H&S

Reply to Smoke Alarm's in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net