Discuss socket getting warm due to a wood stove in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NeilN

Hi all,
I've recently had a wood burner installed in my lounge. The stove flue goes up through a liner installed inside the original masonry chimney. I've noticed, if the stove is burnt for several hours, the chimney breast warms up a bit. In the bedroom above the lounge there is a double gang power socket sunk in the wall of the chimney breast, and like the wall around it, if the stove is run for several hours the socket warms up. When i say warm, i mean a gentle warming, its not 'Hot' but can be felt to be a little warm if touched. I've had the socket front off and checked the wires visually and see no damage but should i be worried? I am pondering if it would be wise to pull the wires out the socket and back below the bedroom floor, crimp join to heat resistant cable and run that up to the socket. Or something else? Or am i worrying needlessly?

Thanks,
Neil

Hi Neil, welcome to the forum.
I understand your concern. It is perhaps unfortunate that the cable is chased into the chimney, but perhaps not the end of the world. The cable is rated up to 70 deg C and if you are feeling it to be a bit warm it might be say 30 to 40 deg. This could be confirmed with an IR thermometer if you've access. Raising the temp like this will reduce the cable's safe current carrying capacity but I wouldn't make changes yet. Perhaps work out what is connected to this circuit? (immersion heater ?)

Hi, thanks for the welcome! and your reply
Yes I'd guess the brickwork and the socket front get to 30 to 40C or not much higher at least. If I touch them they are warm but its a comfortable warmth, definitely not a 'hot' feel. the socket is on the upstairs ring main. Its a double gang beside the bed, normally has a phone charger and a small bedside lamp plugged in, nothing drawing more than an amp. There is other stuff elsewhere on the upstair ring main, with about 12 double gang sockets in total, although the hoover is probably the biggest current draw as its mostly just a few lamps and chargers.
So normal 2.5mm2 twin and earth is rated to 70C? I probably don't need to worry then. probably. It did occur to me that if a cable happened to touch or drape over a central heating copper pipe it would get a great deal hotter than this socket in the chimney breast gets so I'm probably quite safe.

Reply to socket getting warm due to a wood stove in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net