Discuss Socket Heights in New Extensions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chloebear

Hi All,
Do the heights of Sockets & Light Switches in a New Extension to an older property (one room) have to abide by the new regs for heights or can they be at the same height as the existing sockets etc?

You should be ok leaving them at the same height as the main building part M applies to all new dwellings you have an extension to an existing dwelling.

Chris

If this project is to be inspected by the local building inspector then I would suggest that it is worth asking him first before fitting the sockets & switches outside of the disabled zones.

As the chaps have said, there is no requirement to install new sockets in an addition to the new, Pat M, heights.

They can match the existing installation.

use r wrong the regulations state that the sockets have to be 450mm from ground and light switches 120mm to top.If u certify this u could get into trouble because u arnt following regulations.If u rewire a house u have to abide by the regulations at the right heights.Keep yourself right.Approved contractor

Joe,

All the documents state that existing installations DO NOT have to have additions installed to the new heights.

Part M generally applies to substantially refurbished and new build properties only.

To this day, I have never been pulled up on it.

use r wrong the regulations state that the sockets have to be 450mm from ground and light switches 120mm to top.If u certify this u could get into trouble because u arnt following regulations.If u rewire a house u have to abide by the regulations at the right heights.Keep yourself right.Approved contractor

rubbish- who told you that, this only applies to new builds not extensions or rewires to old properties , if in doubt ring your part p sheme provider and ask them they will say same.

You're splitting hairs here Joe, I'd go with Jason on this as it is not a new dwelling and the customer would prefer an asthetically pleasing installation.

You are tending to take building regulations and interpret that advise as IEE regs

There seems to be quite a lot of confusion since domestic installations were included in the building regs,so you are not on your own with this confusion,but time will eventually assist the industry to have a clearer picture

A bold statement there Joe, wrong but bold.

Looked in my on site guide and i only have figure 10.7 Insulation resistance
There is a little confusion in this debate I thinks :confused:

Extension at the end of the day,not new build.If you were wiring an extension on a kitchen you'd want to keep everything at the same height.I would personally.:rolleyes:

Do what u like,the current 17th wiring regulations dont give old heights for a NEW extension.If u want to put old heights in go ahead it will be ok for the 16th edition.When u certify this do u mention that u have done this to 16th edition.There has been amendments for a reason.If u also rewire a house u cant use old heights another mistake made by sparks to do with cost.As soon as you touch anything you have to do it to bs7671.The heights off the kitchen counters havnt changed only the spacing from the cooker and sink which is now 300mm and not 150mm as stated in the 16th edition.These r all stated in the 17th edition onsite guide anybody read it

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Socket Heights in New Extensions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock