Discuss Socket Heights in New Extensions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Joe,

The 17th edition has nothing to do with heights of accessories it's approved document M of the building regulations that is concerned here.

With a small one room extension the new heights are not in force it is only full new builds or extensively renovated premesis. What would be the point in making one room compliant when the entire of the rest of your house would not.

Joe,

Can you quote a reg to back this up?

Im sure many members on here would be very interested to see where they may have been going wrong.

Cheers.

5.2.2 location of kitchen accessories.10.7 access to and use of buildings (approved document m)heights of switches and socket outlets iee 17thedition onsite guide.This guide also incorprates part p

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been amendments for a reason.If u also rewire a house u cant use old heights another mistake made by sparks to do with cost.

I'm sorry Joe but this is wrong also.

If you actually read Part M it states that and I quote" If the dwelling is rewired there is no requirement to provide the measures described providing that on completion the building is no worse in terms of compliance "

It also states that the requirements of part M do not apply to and again I quote "An extension of or a material alteration of a dwelling.

I'm not making this up Joe, I'm quoting from the electricians guide to the building regs published by the IEE, the same people that publish the regs book and On Site Guide.

joe you are quoting from the electricians guide to the building regulations.
not the on-site guide 10.7.1 read it
bs7671 iee wiring regulations
part p building regulation
approved document M read it

righty, can someone ring up one of your schemes to find out the correct answer,

this is where i'm at as quoted from Part M building regulations page 12/87 http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADM_2004.pdf

it says,

Where the requirements apply

0.1 the requiremtns apply if:

a. a non-domestic building or a dwelling is newly erected;

b. an existing NON-domestic building is extended, or undergoes a material alteration; or

c. an existing building or part of an existing building undergoes a material change of use to a hotel or boarding house, institution, public buiding or shop

...............the regulations then continue onto extendsions etc, but that applys only to newly erected buildings.

check it out for yourself, with this information you can put the sockets at what ever height you want, as long as it was built before ( i dunno 2003?? is it?? ) whether its had an extension on it or not, now if it was a non-domestic dwelling getting extended on an old building, then yeah by the looks it'll need part M taken into account?

that Help any one, or am I just rabbling on 'n' on

Regards Luke

New sockets and switches should according to BS7671 and Part M of the building Regs be fixed at a height that will assist people whose reach is limited.This only applies to NEW BUILDS and DOES not apply if you are adding to EXISTING wiring in your own home or an EXTENSION.Sorry JOE.Agree with a lot of the blokes on this thread:D

old dog I was instructed to buy this guide from a niceic inspector.It is a domestic building with an extension and not a new build were heights r to 17th edition.Luke scotty is right.

joe i think you've contradicted yourself here???

righty, can someone ring up one of your schemes to find out the correct answer,

this is where i'm at as quoted from Part M building regulations page 12/87 http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADM_2004.pdf

it says,

Where the requirements apply

0.1 the requiremtns apply if:

a. a non-domestic building or a dwelling is newly erected;

b. an existing NON-domestic building is extended, or undergoes a material alteration; or

c. an existing building or part of an existing building undergoes a material change of use to a hotel or boarding house, institution, public buiding or shop

...............the regulations then continue onto extendsions etc, but that applys only to newly erected buildings.

check it out for yourself, with this information you can put the sockets at what ever height you want, as long as it was built before ( i dunno 2003?? is it?? ) whether its had an extension on it or not, now if it was a non-domestic dwelling getting extended on an old building, then yeah by the looks it'll need part M taken into account?

that Help any one, or am I just rabbling on 'n' on

Regards Luke

I'm basically saying that you can put the sockets at what ever height you want, in this new extension as long as its not a new dweling

hi joe when you quoted on-site guide
there is the electricians guide to the building regulations and there is the
on-site guide bs 7671;2008
iee wiring regulations 17th edition
the guidance given in approved document M applies to all new dwellings

u learn by listening to others tell me something I dont already know .Dont want to argue anymore oldboy

Reply to Socket Heights in New Extensions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock