Discuss Socket showing live on both ring mcb’s ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a socket in a house showing up as live on both ring 1 and ring 2 ? powered up the house today and used a socket tester and it was flashing on both rings when I isolated each one on their individual MCB’s ? does anyone know what this could be ?

I have a socket in a house showing up as live on both ring 1 and ring 2 ? powered up the house today and used a socket tester and it was flashing on both rings when I isolated each one on their individual MCB’s ? does anyone know what this could be ?
Possibly a result of connecting it across two circuit breakers having failed to carry out initial verification before putting the installation into service. That would seem like the most likely explanation, although socket testers aren't necessarily hugely accurate but rather indicative.

Possibly a result of connecting it across two circuit breakers having failed to carry out initial verification before putting the installation into service. That would seem like the most likely explanation, although socket testers aren't necessarily hugely accurate but rather indicative.
The continuity was ok on ring 1 but not showing on the lives on ring 2 ? it’s very confusing . So I think the connection was ok

This requires further investigation from someone qualified as they will know the correct safe isolation procedures.
as mentioned buy others there is a chance that the rings are interconnected somewhere which makes this particularly dangerous when fault finding.

Last edited:
There is also the possibility of damage to cables,which could cause this - either way,it needs detailed investigation,in a methodical manner.

Recently had a job where there is 3 rfc in the house and all 3 were interconnected. So in short no matter which 32a fuse you pulled all the sockets remained live.
I have temporarily put the entire lot onto one circuit to make isolation easier.
Going to be a right pig to sort out

each end of the ring is connectted to a different breaker,
if both of those breakers come from the same source ?
that would explain why he has gotten away with it !
But it is potentually dangerous and needs to be correctted.
This requires methodical thinking and testing
So best left to a good electrician.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the two ring circuits are crossed with one another,and the person who installed the rings did not verify ring continuity.

There was a really old thread but I can’t find it now.
Something about replacing round pin plugs with fancy square pinned ones, and having a fuse actually inside the plug!!!!
New things. They’ll never catch on.
:p;)

Obviously, an interconnection with two COMPLETE rings would mean all the sockets live with either mcb. Sounds a bit more complicated than that though.

Reply to Socket showing live on both ring mcb’s ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock