Discuss spare socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

And no you should NOT run any cables behind skirting board.

Your only other option is to use some mini trunking run around the top of the skirting from an existing socket with a 13A plug top and some 1.5mm 3 core flex to a twin socket, surface mounted.

Not ideal or the most attractive but if budget and access is an issue.

thanx for all the comments but basicly im goin to tell my boss and his fussy mrs its tough luck about the decor

fair comments but how do you think the cables get to a socket when you do have access from under the floor? behind the skirting or by magic? it would only be a fire hazard if you screwed the face to the skirting without a b/box! correct me if im wrong but would behind the skirting still be a prescribed zone? and even so with it being buried less than 50mm from the surface it would also need rcd protection so if sum 1 is stupid enuff to put a nail or screw thru a skirting board without checking whats behind thats their problem i have done my job and in line with the big red book :)

fair comments but how do you think the cables get to a socket when you do have access from under the floor? behind the skirting or by magic? it would only be a fire hazard if you screwed the face to the skirting without a b/box! correct me if im wrong but would behind the skirting still be a prescribed zone? and even so with it being buried less than 50mm from the surface it would also need rcd protection so if sum 1 is stupid enuff to put a nail or screw thru a skirting board without checking whats behind thats their problem i have done my job and in line with the big red book :)

Did you read the entire post?

We are saying that cables should not be run along behind the skirting board, not coming up from under the floor and going behind the skirting.

yeh i did but i had just got in, i admit its not my 1st choice for cable routing and infacts its something 1 of my old bosses used to do if i did it half the plaster would probably come with it but if its on an rcd and you cant see another way i dont see the problem

Hi

lets clear this up behind a skirting board has never been a cable zone nor will it ever be. Some scary posts, I here a lot of this its on a RCD so don't worry, RCD are additional protection not a back up if it goes wrong.

regards

RapidRich

How far does the socket have to be from the other socket already in the room?
Regs state that you can chase a wall horizontally up to a 6th of the thickness of the wall. I know it's not ideal but it is another option.

Regards
Mark

Kung

Just had a look at the D-trunking, and it looks pretty good mate. Much easier than chasing!!

Mark

Reply to spare socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock