Discuss Sparks when trying to test golf cart batteries with a volt meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I bought a used golf cart a few days ago which had their batteries replaced last year. They hooked up an am/fm radio to it and it worked fine when you flip a separate switch. There is a “Tow” switch by the batteries that I was told to switch it to when not using the cart so there wouldn’t be any drainage when it in use. So I charge it with the Modz Max 48 charger until it shows green, then take it off and it sits over night. The next afternoon, my wife tries to take it out. Flips the tow switch, put in the key, then hit the accelerator. Goes 3ft then stops. Won’t move after several attempts. Gets me and after I flip the tow switch a couple times it works. Wife takes it out and when she comes back, tells me the radio doesn’t turn on. Flipping that separate switch that turned it in the night before doesn’t work. So I charge it again until it turns green and let it sit for an hour or so. I then decide to test the batteries with a volt meter from a YouTube video I saw. Put the meter into the bar with three dots on the bottom and put the red probe on one of the positive + terminals and the black probe on the negative terminal. When I connected to both, there was small sparks and then the volt meter wires got real hot. Felt like the wires were going to melt so I pulled them off right away. I tested the golf cart and it worked fine, but still can’t get the radio to power on. Did I mess up something with the volt meter in simply trying to test the batteries? Thanks.

Attachments

• Sparks when trying to test golf cart batteries with a volt meter 050D6D1E-FE54-4EB9-90EA-FCF93895CF5F - EletriciansForums.net
    050D6D1E-FE54-4EB9-90EA-FCF93895CF5F.jpeg
    469 KB · Views: 35
  • Sparks when trying to test golf cart batteries with a volt meter 66EE2508-5E3C-4DA4-AE90-AE0D4525103D - EletriciansForums.net
    66EE2508-5E3C-4DA4-AE90-AE0D4525103D.jpeg
    497.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Sparks when trying to test golf cart batteries with a volt meter 64DAD587-AE22-4727-BF26-C11B7CDC9B5C - EletriciansForums.net
    64DAD587-AE22-4727-BF26-C11B7CDC9B5C.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Sparks when trying to test golf cart batteries with a volt meter CDC4276F-E5BC-441A-A7BE-684B5A4B337D - EletriciansForums.net
    CDC4276F-E5BC-441A-A7BE-684B5A4B337D.jpeg
    626 KB · Views: 37
I think you have the tester in current mode rather than voltage. When measuring current the test leads are in series with the load and the leads have a very low resistance, to allow the current through. If you put the tester across a voltage like this it will cause a short circuit. Check again and use the tester in volts DC only. You will also probably have the red lead in the wrong socket on the meter ie A or mA, rather than V.

I think you have the tester in current mode rather than voltage. When measuring current the test leads are in series with the load and the leads have a very low resistance, to allow the current through. If you put the tester across a voltage like this it will cause a short circuit. Check again and use the tester in volts DC only. You will also probably have the red lead in the wrong socket on the meter ie A or mA, rather than V.
This was the setting it was on. Is this incorrect?

the problem with the meter was it was set on amps, not volts. for volts and ohms, the red lead should plug int to other terminal, on the right. as you have it as in the photo and apply a voltage it's highly likely that your meter is damaged. good job it's only a cheapo meter. These cheap meters should never be used on a voltage in double or treble figures.

Yep, NEVER put the red lead in that connection, you don't have the knowledge to be able to use that one safely. Use the one on the right with the V symbol on it. You quite rightly assumed logically that the left connection would be the most commonly used one and it's crazy that the meter is like that.

Talking of real quality meters, look at his beauty I got for €11! Tests up to 10A, but you have to wait 15 minutes between tests for that range...
TBH, I use it for testing AA batteries and continuity and nothing else...
Sparks when trying to test golf cart batteries with a volt meter meter - EletriciansForums.net

You're probably risking things testing a AA battery with that.

Honestly, @Moley you need to see the solid build quality before you comment like that! Look at those terminals on the left for the leads...milled from solid brass...or maybe not!

Sparks when trying to test golf cart batteries with a volt meter meter 2 - EletriciansForums.net

Haha! No! I took the back off to illustrate the build quality. The spring makes contact witha bit of tinfoil glued to the inside of the lid...
Probably not going to use this as a replacement for my Fluke T150...

Reply to Sparks when trying to test golf cart batteries with a volt meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock