Discuss spurs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
what is maximum amount of spur sockets taken from a main , the main amperage can be changed easily the wiring is 2.5 and a ring main is not possible without a lot of work as this is a large old house which has been wired this way , there will only be one large consumer a water heater .

you can take only 1 outlet as a spur from a ring final unless you fit a 13A FCU

I'm sorry I think you need to word your question a bit better, or it might just be me.

what is maximum amount of spur sockets taken from a main , the main amperage can be changed easily the wiring is 2.5 and a ring main is not possible without a lot of work as this is a large old house which has been wired this way , there will only be one large consumer a water heater .
1 spur per socket on the RFC See Appendix 15 BS 7671

what he said about what he above said ^^^^^. although 4mm is capable of handling the current in itself, adding several outlets to the same point on the rfc could overload the 2.5mm rfc cable especially if the point was close to one end of the rfc.

If you have a ring final circuit then the recommendation is that the number of unfused spurs does not exceed the number of point on the ring. e.g. with ten sockets of the ring a maximum of 10 unfused spurs is recommended. The number of fused spurs is unlimited.
An unfused spur will only supply a single point of use.
In practice you would be looking at the ring loading and ensuring that there were not a concentration of current drawn at one point of the ring.

If you have a ring final circuit then the recommendation is that the number of unfused spurs does not exceed the number of point on the ring. e.g. with ten sockets of the ring a maximum of 10 unfused spurs is recommended. The number of fused spurs is unlimited.

I'm clearly missing something here, as both you and Pete999 have mentioned this. I can't find anything in the current edition of the regs about a limit on number of spurs, although maybe I've read it in a previous edition.

I'm clearly missing something here, as both you and Pete999 have mentioned this. I can't find anything in the current edition of the regs about a limit on number of spurs, although maybe I've read it in a previous edition.
Have you looked at Appendix 15 in the BYB

As I say it is a recommendation not a regulation.
It is mentioned in the OSG under standard circuits.

Having re-read the OP, I'm not sure we're talking about a ring....

"what is maximum amount of spur sockets taken from a main , the main amperage can be changed easily the wiring is 2.5 and a ring main is not possible without a lot of work as this is a large old house which has been wired this way"

I think he's talking radial.

Reply to spurs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock