Discuss Stalled motor and volt free contacts on VFD. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

sysrq

-
Reaction score
The motor has stalled (trip name StLL) after someone tightened/overtightened screws on flange mounted gearbox. Volt free contacts on Parker SDD 650 frame 1 were still closed (assigned to close only when motor is running). They should open cause they are in series with the contactor coil of another motor (the other motor should stop to avoid overspilling of material).
Does anybody else had similar condition ever before?

Last edited:
The volts free relay will need to be assigned the desired parameter as with any drive, they are usually factory default to drive healthy status but not always, what is the relay set up as in the programming?

The motor has stalled (trip name StLL) after someone tightened/overtightened screws on flange mounted gearbox. Volt free contacts on Parker SDD 650 frame 1 were still closed (assigned to close only when motor is running). They should open cause they are in series with the contactor coil of another motor (the other motor should stop to avoid overspilling of material).
Does anybody else had similar condition ever before?

I think it is possible to assign only one function on to them. They are only normally open contacts so if I assign them to close when tripped then I can't use them to turn on other things using them.

I think it is possible to assign only one function on to them. They are only normally open contacts so if I assign them to close when tripped then I can't use them to turn on other things using them.

Correct, what type of VSD are you using? Sometimes if they have only one volt free contact they will have a couple of transistor outputs that could be utilized. Or an expantion I/O board needs fitting.

Assigning a relay to close on motor run is different to assigning a relay to change state on trip, don't get confused that they are the same parameter as they function differently under different conditions - especially if a drive trips. I would be surprised if these drives couldn't be assigned for their relay output, the models I came across could.
Do you have the instructions to set the drive up as you seem to be vague as to whether you can or can't change the relay function.

Last edited:
Correct, what type of VSD are you using? Sometimes if they have only one volt free contact they will have a couple of transistor outputs that could be utilized. Or an expantion I/O board needs fitting.

Thanks for suggestion, somehow forgot about that option. I will have to connect some DIN rail mount external relay to those transistor outputs then. I have one with 22 mA coil rurrent. Only thing is terminal 10 is used for latching push-button start up, can I use terminal 9 DOUT1 as well? Manual says DOUT1 is reserved for future models and seems like have only 20 mA max load current. D10 has 50 mA.

Last edited:
Thanks for suggestion, somehow forgot about that option. I will have to connect some DIN rail mount external relay to those transistor outputs then. I have one with 22 mA coil rurrent. Only thing is terminal 10 is used for latching push-button start up, can I use terminal 9 DOUT1 as well? Manual says DOUT1 is reserved for future models and seems like have only 20 mA max load current. D10 has 50 mA.

Then probably the best option would be to connect to PLC or smart relay trough rs232.

Last edited:
Rs 232? You in the Stone Age?

Good guess.

Quoting the manual:

''RS485/RS232 Communication Module
You can create a network of drives by linking a Master (PC/PLC) to one or more 650 drives
fitted with this module.
Plug this Communication Module on to the front of the 650 drive, replacing the keypad.
It converts signals from the host 650 drive into RS485 or RS232, and vice versa, so that
information can be shared between the Master and 650 drive(s).
Wiring is very simple - all connections are SELV (Safe Extra Low Voltage). Select to use
RS485 or RS232 by wiring to the appropriate terminal on the module.''

Last edited:
Thanks for answers. I have no other choice but to add some latching relay and utilize terminal 10 sourcing open collector with terminal 1 0V reference.

Reply to Stalled motor and volt free contacts on VFD. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net