Discuss storage heater with booster wiring requirement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good evening.
I after some advice please
I had an old dimplex storage heater removed from my flat and wish to get another one fitted but the modern storage heaters have a boost function which requires extra wiring.
Can anyone please tell me what this will entail as concerned about this as I have been told that I may have to change the fuse box which would be too costly.
Thank you

Hi. Modern storage heaters have to meet Directive Lot20, which means they have to be as efficient as possible. Which means they have to a have a 24 hour supply to power the electronics which control the efficiency measures, as well as the off peak supply.

Presumably your old heater only had an off peak supply, fed from a separate off peak board.
It may be possible to add a 24 hour supply from a nearby sockets circuit. If not, then you're faced with a choice of having a new circuit running back to the 24 hour consumer unit, or replacing the storage heater with an energy efficient panel heater. This would entail moving the off peak cable over to the the 24 hour consumer unit. You would of course no longer benefit from the cheaper off peak tariff.

Don't any of these 'LOT20' storage heaters come with a built in time switch, so that they can be operated from a 24 hr supply, but still retain their off peak capabilities?

Don't any of these 'LOT20' storage heaters come with a built in time switch, so that they can be operated from a 24 hr supply, but still retain their off peak capabilities?
Some are capable of this function and some are not. And it would also depend on the off peak tariff and how it is delivered. Some tariffs provide off peak electricity to all circuits in the house. If that's the case, then it would work. Other tariffs only provide off peak electricity to circuits connected to the off peak board. Then that would be a problem.

Reply to storage heater with booster wiring requirement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net