Discuss Strange bonding of gas question. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

KNIPEX

Hi guys, ive taken a main bond to the gas pipe which is in steel as its a commercial job, where it enters the property, which also has a gas shut off switch there. however the pipe then runs 15-20m inside the building where it connects into a gas meter still inside the building.

it then runs around the building from the otherside of the meter.

so really i have bonded the incoming not out going, its a strange one.

i was thinking of putting a link acoss both pipes just above the meter so the outgoing is bonded too.

what your views and advice on this please??

where practicable it should be bonded within 600mm of the meter outlet union.
i would take another bond to the outlet side of the meter and treat the incoming pipe as a seperate equipotential bond

where practicable it should be bonded within 600mm of the meter outlet union.
i would take another bond to the outlet side of the meter and treat the incoming pipe as a seperate equipotential bond
Why would you do that.It should be bonded 600mm from the consumer side.Supplier side should be down to the gas company:p

Why would you do that.It should be bonded 600mm from the consumer side.Supplier side should be down to the gas company:p

yeh but the suppliers(its not really a suppliers side ) is still running through a building, and was carried out by the same contrator that did all gas work.

the other way to look at it, if there was no meter, you would bond it where it enters the building.

reg 544.1.2 is intresting regarding the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are required to form an equipotential zone Within the property ..therefore any extraneous conductive parts are required to be bonded to the M.E.T.
The metallic pipework will therefore require bonding within 600mm of entering the building...i would also advise installing a bonding link acroos the meter...this bonding link is fairly common practice where water meters are installed within properties etc.

Regards....spark1

The bond should go as near as practical to the entry into the building ,but on the consumers side of the meter
The pipework that is prior to the meter and exposed in the building should be bonded across to the main gas bond
The reason for doing so is that the supply pipe may be altered in the future and the main gas bond would be still on the exposed internal pipe and no chance of a loss of main bonding continuity due to change of supply material l

thanks for the replies, have we got a definite answer though some say bond where it enters some say at the meter it really is a catch 22 :(

Hi.

I would run my main equipotential bond to within 600mm of the point of entry, then install a cross bond link at the meter between suppliers an consumers side. Have seen it done before and feel this is the way to go.

Cheers.

I would bond within 600mm of the consumers side of the meter, then link the gas pipe where it enters the building to the main steel structure of the building effectively equipitential bonding.

thanks guys, however the steelwork has a seperate bond to it already, so goes make to met so will be all at the same potential anyway. i think i will go on the idea bond 600mm where it enters the building and link at the meter, which means all the pipes are bonded not just the consumer side if i did it from the meter.

would dread to think what would happen if the pipe which is exposed 10-20m from point of entry became live and was not bonded.

We are required to form an equipotential zone Within the property ..therefore any extraneous conductive parts are required to be bonded to the M.E.T.
The metallic pipework will therefore require bonding within 600mm of entering the building...i would also advise installing a bonding link acroos the meter...this bonding link is fairly common practice where water meters are installed within properties etc.

Regards....spark1

I agree with spark1

Reply to Strange bonding of gas question. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock