Discuss Strange fault, can’t work it out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi there, first post.

I’m having a very strange problem affecting my entire board.

I’ve just qualified but not that experienced in faults.

My home electrics have been having problems lately, every time we use the kettle/ toaster/ hairdryer, the lights dim. If we have the toaster on and use the kettle the toast pops up. The shower is juddering when turned on. And the washing machine doesn’t spin if there is a load in it. The microwave also sounds like it has less oomph when lights are on or other appliances being used.

It’s almost like there isn’t enough power to the circuits however I’ve tested for voltage on the outgoing side of all breakers/ Rcd’s and I’m well within the +/-10% supply.

My boss said it could be a neutral fault, I tightened all the neutrals up and all other connections for that matter. I also tried a new 100a main switch incase there was high resistance going on inside this. Still problems, it’s not like it’s just part of the board having problems because I’ve tried all combinations of circuits being on and off and also tried appliances on upstairs and downstairs circuits all of them seem to be problematic. There is no tripping, just feel s like nothing is getting enough juice to run how it should.

Any ideas?
Thanks

hi there, first post.

I’m having a very strange problem affecting my entire board.

I’ve just qualified but not that experienced in faults.

My home electrics have been having problems lately, every time we use the kettle/ toaster/ hairdryer, the lights dim. If we have the toaster on and use the kettle the toast pops up. The shower is juddering when turned on. And the washing machine doesn’t spin if there is a load in it. The microwave also sounds like it has less oomph when lights are on or other appliances being used.

It’s almost like there isn’t enough power to the circuits however I’ve tested for voltage on the outgoing side of all breakers/ Rcd’s and I’m well within the +/-10% supply.

My boss said it could be a neutral fault, I tightened all the neutrals up and all other connections for that matter. I also tried a new 100a main switch incase there was high resistance going on inside this. Still problems, it’s not like it’s just part of the board having problems because I’ve tried all combinations of circuits being on and off and also tried appliances on upstairs and downstairs circuits all of them seem to be problematic. There is no tripping, just feel s like nothing is getting enough juice to run how it should.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Think your Boss, should invest in a power analyzing meter, and wire it up, leave it for a week or so, rather than guessing what the problem is, he could be right of course, but nothing beats a good display of what has been going on with the Electrics.
Has he been on to the DNO at all.
Do you have any test results you could share with the Forum?

In my experience, the DNO are very interested, very quickly, if the voltage wanders outside the tolerances. If you can give them hard facts (readings) then all the better. Before getting into power analysers, which the DNO will install for a week or so once they have logged a fault, start with taking some min/max readings over a few days and you may narrow it down to voltage fluctuations at certain times of day/night. I've done this twice recently, DNO then verified, agreed and tapped the local transformer to rectify.

Its most likely as already been stated a loose connection at a common point.
This could be your side or the DNO side so check your side IE tails connections, main switch is ok, busbar connection, usually if their is an issue you would likely see overheating so just physically see if there is any heat from the cutout or tails around it and the meter 'carefully of course'.

beforehand I had tested the ELI, and got high readings and my boss had dismissed this saying it wouldn’t affect it how it has been affecting it (dipping lights with appliances etc) I also read the voltage.

Scottish power/ UKP just came out and said the ELI was very high 9.7 ohms (same readings I had beforehand but not thought about as boss dismissed it) He also detected fluctuations in the voltage (which I had not) 246 first reading and 200 volts second reading.

Definitely supply problem and not me being a dufus!

Reply to Strange fault, can’t work it out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net