Discuss Stroma assessment coming up. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning all. Got my initial Stroma assessment coming up in a week or so. I’m guessing I’ll be verifying chosen circuits with dead & live tests. I’m tying myself up regarding my lighting circuit. The reason being, I’ve done all my loop in loop out etc at switch; this also includes extractor fan. When testing lights, would I need to take fan out of the wiring. I know it might seem a ‘thick as mince’ question, just after some tips, TIA.

If you isolate it you are not testing the entire circuit. I doubt they will expect you to disconnect equipment unless they judge it to be susceptible to damage from the test which a fan should not be. Connect the line and neutral together at the board and test to earth.

What they want to see is that you can use test instruments in a safe manner and know how to interpret readings. They will not expect you to start pulling things apart to ditch equipment so line/neutral IR readings can be done you can ask the question if this is required but just say you are connecting line and neutral together at the board to prevent any possible damage to equipment. They will pick up pretty quickly if you know your testing and instruments, good luck.

Elecsa had me open up a fan isolator to check the correct sleeving. Had to run through safe isolation, RFC tests and IR test on cooker radial as it is easy to isolate the cooker. Also had to do Ze at dB and Pfc Psc test. Checked PL PI insurance, health and safety / risk assessment recording, complaints procedure as well as wanting to see a copy of the EAWR. Templates for most of the documentation they require were pinged to me when I applied. Be interesting to see how this compares to Stroma?

If you isolate it you are not testing the entire circuit. I doubt they will expect you to disconnect equipment unless they judge it to be susceptible to damage from the test which a fan should not be. Connect the line and neutral together at the board and test to earth.

Fair point.

Whenever I’ve tested my own wiring in such an install, the wiring to the fan etc would be tested, before connecting devices. That’s what I would be explaining to my assessor.

In my experiences being assessed that’s what they would do, ask you how you would carry out the tests. As to actually observe you carry out tests, they would normally do that for simpler radial or ring final circuits. Hence why I would always have an appropriate circuit ready for assessments, or a CU change. Makes life a bit easier for all concerned.

Midwest, yep agree. The planned circuits I have is an upstairs lighting one and upstairs radial at 32A on 4mm cable, all clipped direct and run through joists. Just seem to be doing that last minute ‘have I got it right?’. But greatly and I mean greatly appreciate all of your info and guidance.

Midwest, yep agree. The planned circuits I have is an upstairs lighting one and upstairs radial at 32A on 4mm cable, all clipped direct and run through joists. Just seem to be doing that last minute ‘have I got it right?’. But greatly and I mean greatly appreciate all of your info and guidance.

You'll be asked to demonstrate tests on the radial. They aren't there to make life hard for anyone, and in a domestic situation, they also don't want to cause additional disruption to the property owner.

If clipped direct the Ref Method is C so 32A is fine. If contained in surface conduit or trunking Ref Method is B and 32A is too high.

That’s good to know. I’ve been working with a seasoned spark, learning the job outside of the classroom. And I’ve learnt stacks in just a few months. Westward10, roger that, good gen thank you.

Just remember plenty of tea & biscuits. Although my last assessor was some kind of friggin athlete, and tutted at the suggestion of chocolate hob knobs.

Reply to Stroma assessment coming up. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock