Discuss Supply Issues Building Materials ... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I saw that, other than the price of cable not seen too much evidence. Mind you, the DIY places like Screwfix and Toolstation are often out of quite a lot of stock.

Guy I work with is doing some building work at home. His supplier has told him they cant get bricks for a few months. Another supplier offered him half the amount he needs for double the price.

I can believe it given the shortage and price increases on timber I’ve experienced.

Yesterday I was trying to get hold of some car sized 18mm plywood, all the local sheds were more or less out of stock of and I didn’t have a van for the bigger stuff. Ended up getting the very last bit off the shelf in one of the nearby B&Q’s

Similarly I bought some laminated pine boards for some shelving and cabinet making in the middle of March from Wickes. 18mmx400mmx2350mm was £35.92, a week later it was up to £49.31 and still is. Same story with the other sheds, although it is available cheaper from timber merchants with about three weeks lead time.

my brother in law is a landscaper and he reckons some of his trade materials have gone up 125% against what he was paying roughly this time last year.
He quoted a job 5 months ago for £18,000 , he has now had to re-quote at £20,000 just because of materials inflation

60% due on all timber end of june by according to "Builders depot" . Within central london , best money right now id been a chef or hotel manager .They are really begging for them

The building Firm I sub to is struggling to get the basics , red stocks, type 1 and cement are all in short supply. He’s having to buy from as for north as Leicestershire ,and has started using reclaimed crushed tarmac as a substitute for type 1 on the driveways. It stinks.

Local suppliers around north london are only allowing 5 bags cement per account /customer . I wonder if Cable will see a sudden rise ?

Screwfix had real issues recently (along with B&Q) as a huge amount of Kingfisher group products were wedged in the Suez canal.
If the ship you are referring to is the Evergiven it is still in the Suez canal and not likely to move until the recovery costs and compensation is sorted out by the courts, the containers on that ship will also cost more to land as the carrier has called "General Average" to cover the costs and losses

Reply to Supply Issues Building Materials ... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net