Discuss Supply Issues Building Materials ... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm finally expecting today the delivery of some schneider parts that have been on back-order for about six weeks - got stuck on one of the trapped containers in the Suez blockage.

As for timber - I went to my local builders merchant a few weeks back to buy feather-edge and some posts etc to make a 4m fence section and nearly hit the floor - well over £400

There has been a huge increase in demand for building supplies as trades get back up to full speed and this has been compounded by a global shortage of containers. I've read that the container issue should resolve itself within the next few months, but it will take a few more months for supplies to trickle down the chain.

While demand continues to outstrip supply, it is likely that every link in that supply chain will continue to avail of reduced competition in order to maximise profits. Cable prices would further be subjected to recent increases in the price of copper.

It's difficult to trade in such conditions - bulk buying guarantees cost prices for future work, which can then be quoted at market rates to increase margins, but that also opens a business to the risk of loss when prices drop. Not laying in stock means that you're subject to market fluctuations and the risk of finding materials unavailable. I think the time for bulk buying has long since passed and it's probably better to write a clause into quotations, to cover the issues of availability and increases in wholesale prices.

I'm finally expecting today the delivery of some schneider parts that have been on back-order for about six weeks - got stuck on one of the trapped containers in the Suez blockage.

As for timber - I went to my local builders merchant a few weeks back to buy feather-edge and some posts etc to make a 4m fence section and nearly hit the floor - well over £400
I wanted a feather board fence when we took out massive hedge out.
the materials for a 30 ish foot length came out to nearly £900.

materials for standard panels / concrete posts came to £500 ish

There has been a huge increase in demand for building supplies as trades get back up to full speed and this has been compounded by a global shortage of containers. I've read that the container issue should resolve itself within the next few months, but it will take a few more months for supplies to trickle down the chain.
That is the optimistic view, it's not what I've been told by one of my customers who works in international shipping.
The Suez blockage has caused chaos that will go on for many months if not years as ships missed their port slots the berthing schedule jigsaw has had to be rejigged which means some ships do not have enough berth time to fully unload and load the containers that they need to before the next ship is due to dock or tidal limitations would keep it port for far longer than needed so some containers end up on a much longer journey until the ship berths in that port again
Add to that the cost of shipping containers on some routes is at a premium cost as rates have spiralled over the last few months and this is taking ships away from the less lucrative routes
The outlook in the short term for goods that are shipped into the UK is not good and this could go on for possibly a few years from what I'm told

That is the optimistic view, it's not what I've been told by one of my customers who works in international shipping.
The Suez blockage has caused chaos that will go on for many months if not years as ships missed their port slots the berthing schedule jigsaw has had to be rejigged which means some ships do not have enough berth time to fully unload and load the containers that they need to before the next ship is due to dock or tidal limitations would keep it port for far longer than needed so some containers end up on a much longer journey until the ship berths in that port again
Add to that the cost of shipping containers on some routes is at a premium cost as rates have spiralled over the last few months and this is taking ships away from the less lucrative routes
The outlook in the short term for goods that are shipped into the UK is not good and this could go on for possibly a few years from what I'm told
I agree . The knock on effect will be huge .

Price has already gone up £3 since the last drum I purchased in May

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/prysmian-6242y-grey-2-5mm-twin-earth-cable-100m-drum/20967

Thursday or Friday last week I paid £67 for a roll, today I paid £54

im tempted to back in the morning and pick up another 2 rolls
Cef website says 74.34 Inc vat today so would be well worth picking some up at that price

Edit
In fact 54 is cheaper than any other price I can see online

Funnily enough a product I'd considered buying from them had gone up by £10 yesterday.

Just checked and it's still at the higher price today. Maybe they're trialling Alibaba style yoyo pricing.
I had this with a fancy lunch box I bought off Amazon , it was £27 , I saw it for £17 so bought it , the next day it was £13 then back up to £27

buying stuff these days feels like a game of chicken

Reply to Supply Issues Building Materials ... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net