Discuss Supply to outbuilding in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan Carroll

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi team.

A couple of questions for you.
Just to explain as well. I've just completed the level 2 & 3 diploma, and I'm now trying to work out in the big wide world.

All of this is in regards to a studio outbuilding. The outbuilding is located about 25 meters away from the house.
It is fed via a fused spur taken from a ring main. The ring main is protected with a 32 amp mcb, no RCD.
The feed cable is only 2.5mm 3 core SWA.
The feed goes to a CU in the studio which is RCD protected with 2 circuits, a light on a 6amp and radial on a 16a.
The studio is also on a TT

So firstly, is the general set up ok? To my limited experience it would seem so as the feed is protected so the cable is never going beyond is safe level with regards to current carrying capacity.

Secondly though is volt drop.
When I have worked it out, it seems to be well over the 3 limit for the lighting, but when tested against the inside of the house, there is basically no drop. The confusing part for me as well is the wording in the 7671. When it refers to the origin of the installation, do you take that as the tails into the main CU or the studio CU. The studio is an installation and is origin is there.

Many thanks as always team

the studio is part of the house installation so the origin is at the meter/cut-out in the house. feeding a sub-main CU from a final circuit is bad practice. it should be fed from the origin, either on a OCPD in the house CU, not RCD protected if SWA, or by splitting the tails with henly blocks and a stand-alone OCPD/isolator for the sub-main. the existing 2.5mm cable may be enough for what load is there at present, but does not allow for expansion.

When I have worked it out, it seems to be well over the 3 limit for the lighting, but when tested against the inside of the house, there is basically no drop.
Whilst you don't indicate the cable length from the origin to the FCU, I'm struggling as to how you are calculating "well over" the 3% for lighting, unless the cable length from the origin is significant. I calculated the "submain" section from the FCU as 18mV*6A*25m=2.7V, to which you need to add the VD for the origin to the FCU (if you insist on wiring it this way - see Tel's advice above).
The likely reason you're not seeing this level of VD when testing is your draw is nowhere near 6A.

unless the cable length from the origin is significant
Its probably about about 20 meters from CU to where the FCU is, so 45 meters to the studio CU.
I'm calculating the Ib of the feed as the lighting and power circuit which would add up to 22. (Feel free to correct, we don't go to in depth on the finer points) so 18 * 22 * 45 over 1000 is 17.82 VD. already at 7% without the studio wiring

I assume this is an existing installation so why the interest. Even at 13A loading and only considering the swa cable it does not exceed 3%.

I assume this is an existing installation so why the interest. Even at 13A loading and only considering the swa cable it does not exceed 3%.
This is my first project. I'm trying to figure it all out but unfortunately don't have all the answers. And even if it had nothing to do with me, I would still show an interest in something I didn't quite understand, so that I could better myself in case something comes up in the future.

My maths has 17v at around 7.5%, what are you doing different to get less than 3% please

From the book. mV/A/m * Ib * L divide by 1000.
Its probably about about 20 meters from CU to where the FCU is, so 45 meters to the studio CU.
I'm calculating the Ib of the feed as the lighting and power circuit which would add up to 22. (Feel free to correct, we don't go to in depth on the finer points) so 18 * 22 * 45 over 1000 is 17.82 VD. already at 7% without the studio wiring

You can calculate the volt drop from CU to FCU using R1+RN of the ring, and the design current of the ring. It will give a slightly pessimistic result. Your design current of the ring will have to include the design current of the studio, it being spurred from the ring.

Volt drop from FCU to studio CU calculate in the usual way. The design current for the studio cannot be more than 13A.

The design current for the studio cannot be more than 13A
Is that because its coming from the FCU?

Out of interest, why is it not best practice to run the outside feed from a FCU to a CU? The FCU is protecting the cable. Could there not be a case of installing a larger swa?
Remember I'm still new to this
[automerge]1569953648[/automerge]
not RCD protected if SWA
By the way, why? I thought pretty much everything has to be RCD protected. I know there are exceptions

Last edited:
the main problem is the low ccc of the cable and the fact that it's protected by a 13A fuse. this means that the studio is limited to a basic socket circuit and a few lights. any hungry appliances would need a bigger supply.

the main problem is the low ccc of the cable and the fact that it's protected by a 13A fuse. this means that the studio is limited to a basic socket circuit and a few lights. any hungry appliances would need a bigger supply.
I appreciate that. It is only going to be for an art studio thats well insulated, so phone charging, a small heater and maybe a couple of desk lamps. I work out they should have 2500watts (rounded down). It is literally just for her to sit in and paint. Maybe a few drinks when ever we have nice weather.

So really would the best options be to install something like 6mm (not done the calc yet for VD) SWA, back to the main DB. The DB is in the middle of the house, under the stairs.
Or knowing that it is only going to get light use, upgrade the SWA to 6mm from the FCU.
I do like the henley block method, however the current layout already has a couple of units under the stairs and access to the middle of the house would be problemattic.

I really appreciate all the comments. Its just that sometimes the book isn't exactly the clearest in what you can and cannot do. I have come from 15 years as a mechanical helicopter engineer, where the regs where substantially larger than these, but also more defined. I like to have good and clear knowledge of what I'm trying to achieve

Supply to outbuilding 55a72c38-5e0a-4026-baff-3e39e4a69446 - EletriciansForums.net

pointless upgrading to 6.0mm cable from a 13A FCU. if it's too difficult to get direct to the CU then leave as is, it's safe. just advise on the load limitations.

No point running a 6mm SWA from the FCU.
[automerge]1569958091[/automerge]
Bet me to it Tel.

i wouldn't worry about that, esp if LED lighting is used. bear in mind that you probably have > 230V anyway.

Is this a job for a customer, or at your own property?

Reply to Supply to outbuilding in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock