Discuss surge protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
i have 1 of these to wire up this week and im not to sure how these are wired up

basically its a home office with dado trunking with 20 single sockets these will be made into the ring and at the end of the trunking will be the surge protection and breaker in an enclosure

any advice will be helpfull

Never wired up one of these myself either, one question tho, will you be running a additional CPC with your ring circuit for earth leakage or isnt it required in this situation?

Hey.

With the number of S/O's on the circuit I would definately be running an additional 4mm CPC to cover the leakage.

nope nothing like that

its like a rcd unit what you would use for showers etc can only fit 2 breakers in 1s a breaker and 1s a surge breaker

it has 1 other side of the office had a quick look and i still couldnt figure it out i dont wnat to just wire it the same as that could be done incorect

it seems to have 2x from the breaker to the surge
all earths into the bottom of the surge
2x neutrals crimped together
2x neutrals together
2x line crimped together
and i think the other 2 went into the breaker

i should of got pics as that may of helped

the only surge gear ive fitted goes in an enclosure next to the cu you just feed it off an mcb in the cu and it protects all outgoing ciruits.

how do you wire them up this will be same as what you have there but it will be in the ring and just done for them sockets

i have no idea how they work and no one at work does either

Hey mate.

Who makes the unit your installaing, have you seen it yet??

Might be able to google the manufacturer and find some tech info on the website maybe??

Cheers.

Hey mate

I found this.

Installation and connection​
The main protection SPDs are
installed directly after the main
incoming switch or RCCB
(type S).
SPDs can be used in any supply
system e.g TNCS, TNS, TT.
Options: Replacement
cartridges.
Connected in parallel to the
equipment to be protected.
Protection is assured in both
common and differential modes.

Also If you look at page 66 of the PDF you will find all the wiring diagrams for them.

Hope this helps.

Hey mate

I found this.

Installation and connection
The main protection SPDs are
installed directly after the main
incoming switch or RCCB
(type S).
SPDs can be used in any supply
system e.g TNCS, TNS, TT.
Options: Replacement
cartridges.
Connected in parallel to the
equipment to be protected.
Protection is assured in both
common and differential modes.

Also If you look at page 66 of the PDF you will find all the wiring diagrams for them.

Hope this helps.

you my friend are god

iv found the diagrams and it makes a bit more sense now

SPD's normally fitted upstream of rcds afaik (unless rcd is time delayed )-to prevent nuisance tripping - and wired in parallel with loads to divert surges(via earth)

the high-integrity earthing is for 'standing leakage 'over 10mA afaik =it will prob prevent a dangerous touch voltage if a screw works loose etc

it's not to handle leakage as such-it's to ensure the integrity of the circuit cpc

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to surge protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock