Discuss swa feeding ring main 1 leg in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

davetherave1979

Hi all have a job to quote to sort out kitchen is wired in a radial circuit spured of a ring spur of a spur can acess the 2 legs in a loft abov ekitchen but the only way back to the board is outside was going to clip 1 swa 10mm 3 core along wall back to board with 32 rcbo and conect both legs of the ring to this 1 cable. Any 1 see any problems with this or would I be better running 2 separet swa's. thanks

Better for testing purposes to run two cables to maintain the ring structure back to the CU.
Lollipop rings are potentially within the regs but do cause difficulties.

We use lollipop rings quite a bit out here Rich for IT offices.

My preferred choice of weapon for an office is power track, but you need a floating floor for that. So where we can't use it I run a 6mm from the CU which can be 30/40 metres into an adaptable and then ring out from there.

This is just because of adhering to protective conductor currents and the appropriate regs, which it does conform to and can also be quite cost effective in both labour and materials

We use lollipop rings quite a bit out here Rich for IT offices.

My preferred choice of weapon for an office is power track, but you need a floating floor for that. So where we can't use it I run a 6mm from the CU which can be 30/40 metres into an adaptable and then ring out from there.

This is just because of adhering to protective conductor currents and the appropriate regs, which it does conform to and can also be quite cost effective in both labour and materials
Do you not find it a nightmare to test the ring effectively as you would have to test the single cable R1 and R2 and then test the ring with figure 8 test and join the results, which seems tedious. Also if the change from one to two cables is not accessible or obvious then the next electrician could find things difficult.

However I do take your point about labour and materials.

Totally agree Rich................. I do the r1 rn and r2 to make sure the ring part complies, but I do a combined R1 and R2 for both parts so it's not that much more testing to be honest.

exsisting ring is 2.5 te so wont be able to change it all just need to run 2 cables back to the board to make it a ring will be using 2 swa cables now so thanks guys

Why 10mm SWA? Isn't that overkill for what you describe (1 x RFC). 3c x 4mm s/b perfectly adequate unless I've missed something.

Reply to swa feeding ring main 1 leg in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock