Discuss SWA outer armour not earthed at either end. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Fitzy

-
Arms
Reaction score
A friend at work asked me to take a look at the electrics in his shed, RCD would occasionally trip out, turned out to be a very loose neutral going in to the RCD.

One thing I did notice though was that the 10MM2 SWA entered through the back entry point of both the shed & house CU and neither end of the outer sheath was connected to the earth bar and was also very loosely pushed through at the shed end directly from outside of the shed. I thought that the outer armour of the SWA cable had to be earthed at at least one end, if not both? Am I right here?

Last edited:
Yes, it should be earthed, preferably at the supply end.

So one end is ok then?

I was thinking of adding the brass gland to the supply end, then run an earth fly lead to the cu early bar, is this ok?

Plus, is ok to use the back entry for swa cable, or should it always be glanced at both ends?

Is there a core being used as the cpc inside the SWA?
The armour should be earthed at supply end at least.

10mm? What the heck has he got inside the shed?
or is that, what the heck is he growing inside the shed?

Really both ends should be earthed generally. Supply end only is not good practice without good reason.

Is there a core being used as the cpc inside the SWA?
The armour should be earthed at supply end at least.

10mm? What the heck has he got inside the shed?
or is that, what the heck is he growing inside the shed?

Yes, the black core has been used as the earth, the house’s supply is TN-S and the SWA run is roughly 30m in total. One light circuit and 2 socket radials in the shed.

Is it ok to go directly in through the back of the db, directly from outside? There’s been no mastic used to fill the rear entry hole either. I would’ve clipped the swa to the inside wall of the shed, then in to the db.

I would terminate into a wiska/adaptable box fitz and then from that to the Cu in t&e

I did suggest re-routing the swa to the inside wall, then glanded in to the shed db, luckily there’s enough slack in the swa to still reach the db from inside, then i’ll fill the hole in shed wall.

It was only done last summer by an electrician friend of a friend.

Reply to SWA outer armour not earthed at either end. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock