Discuss Switch plates made of copper - what you think ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

popo0000

Hi folks, this is my first post so hello to all of you.

I am a crafter and I want to make a copper switch plates , as copper killks bacteria, and looks stylish, I think it would sell. I plan to waterjet cut copper sheets thickness 0.11 inch , than hand forged and patina, the look would be similar to this here http://www.houzz.com/projects/997617/wall-plates

What you think ? Would it sell in UK ? Did you see it before ?

Also as I am not UK based I would aprreciate your help , does anyone of you have detailed mesurements of regular measures of the UK standard switch plates? I mean

Many Many thanks,

Patricia

Something like this?
In the UK there are stringent requirements for things like sockets and switches.

Generally speaking commercial kitchens will specify stainless steel sockets and switches, while MK reckon their logic range are already quite hygienic - from their website:
"Logic Plus[SUP]TM[/SUP] products are made from a high grade thermoset material which has an inherent antimicrobial property. In independent tests, the Logic Plus[SUP]TM[/SUP] products were equal to, or exceeded, competitor 'Anti-Bac' products when tested for resistance to MRSA, E.Coli, Salmonella and Klebsiella pneumoniae."

UK standard switch and socket plates are governed by British Standards, which you will have to comply with to sell them to the UK market (along with other rules and testing procedures)
Get yourself a copy of the standards and you will find all of the requirements for dimensions, electrical characteristics, materials specs tc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I want to make and sell plates only, not included all the parts that will electrician install like socket and plugs.

would there be any restricions to sell it online ?

I am thinking of bare copper with holes just like this one

Regards
Patricia

I want to make and sell plates only, not included all the parts that will electrician install like socket and plugs.

Regards
Patricia
Your issue here is we already have companies that do the full product to meet BS standards, you're entering a market for a low demand product that already has numerous companies supplying it, if you're just making the plates then your really on the wrong forum asking the wrong questions, you need to get into dialogue with a company that makes bespoke switches and sockets as a supply source for the plates otherwise your going to be wrangled in regulation and red-tape if you wish to sell across the globe to meet the varying standards of each country.

The Pic provided is not BS standard outlets the UK sockets look very different, therefore the holes you need to cut would depend on the country you sell to and the brand of socket or switch you put into the plate, as there are thousands of variations then you cannot simply pick a hole template, hence you would have to get involved with a manufacturer of the socket/switches themselves.

Last edited:

Regards
Patricia

So where would we get the rest of the switch/socket from? It would have to be a special order I would think because in the UK you normally buy domestic accessories complete with all parts, not the front plates separately.

I can think of one company who already do what you are proposing, they buy the guts of the accessories from a manufacturer and them make their own plates to go on the front, it's not exactly a new idea or a gap in the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

they buy the guts of the accessories from a manufacturer and them make their own plates to go on the front, it's not exactly a new idea or a gap in the market.

I do understand its not new idea, it todays world its hard to make somethink totally NEW.

I just think there is a market for custom made products, so people can stand out from the crowd.

Just need some feedback from technical point of view, how complicated that would be to to make these plates, and if it would be better to sell bare plates or with guts included.

The problem is that UK sockets and switches are normally all-in-one items, rather than the American system of a plate with a switch or socket fastened to it. Or are you intending to sell a cover plate that fixes over, for example, a standard single light switch, etc.? Daz

I do understand its not new idea, it todays world its hard to make somethink totally NEW.

I just think there is a market for custom made products, so people can stand out from the crowd.

Just need some feedback from technical point of view, how complicated that would be to to make these plates, and if it would be better to sell bare plates or with guts included.

I think the problem you will have is if you try to sell them without the guts then you wont sell many, as it wouldn't be cost effective to the customer to then try and find and install them. And with companies already selling the finished product you probably wouldn't get a look in.

You could of course manufacture the product with the electrical components included But then there are all sorts of British and possibly European standards you would need to research and comply with. Which may make it difficult and costly for yourself as a manufacturer.

The problem is that UK sockets and switches are normally all-in-one items, rather than the American system of a plate with a switch or socket fastened to it.

This is info that I was looking for . So US is a different story and it make sense to offer plates only , right ?

You could try making the cover plates to fit a specific make of grid switch.

For example, Contactum (Grid | Contactum), where you buy the frame, the switch modules and the cover plate separately. Possibly you need a brand where everything needs a cover plate (the Contactum sockets don't come as separate parts, but I've seen brands that do).

I'm not in the UK but I think there would be a market for bespoke fascia plates. We have a company that occasionally makes electrical accessory plates for us in small volumes from copper, s/steel and also exotic woods. We supply them with a sample of the switch/socket/isolator and they plot the dimensions to a dxf drawing and laser cut.

I suspect your market would be the high end because the cost of these kinds of fascias is considerably more than off-the-shelf alternatives that are produced in high volume manufacturing runs. You'd need to be flexible I think rather than just producing a range for one make of electrical accessories you'd need to be able to make to order for accessories from several manufacturers at least because often with the upper end of the market they use expensive items such as LaGrand, Gira etc and the different configurations of switches and grids will be many.

I don't think the electrical regulations will be an issue as such if you're only supplying fascia plates although there can be problems with replacing a plastic fascia with a metalic one that's conductive in certain circumstances.

All that said technology is on your side, you can pick up a benchtop laser cutter that will handle 1/4 or 1/2 sheet size for less than a few
grand and with a decent website you could market this kinda thing at architects and interior designers who are eager to be able to offer bespoke products to their clients.

Last edited:
Hi,the principle of an "overlay",which sits over the top of an existing accessory,is what i think you are aiming for.

The problem with this,is the existing accessory would already have the appropriate BS rating and specification,and this would be deviated from,by adding an additional "spacer",even if only to the degree of .11".

Now,in principle,this may not affect its' operation...but the manufacturers and standards agencies,would have to accept that also.

This would almost certainly not become contentious,until an incident regarding injury or an insurance claim,of an appreciable value.

I can think of dozens of such examples,where sales and use,of an article,were accepted and continuous...until such an incident. Chinese-lanterns,being an obvious one.

If i were to invest in a laser profiling machine,capable of processing copper,it would be the garden ornament or art sector,where i would look first...and if successful,drop off your copper scrap waste,at my house,every Friday. Thankyou :smart:

Reply to Switch plates made of copper - what you think ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net