Discuss Tails from meter to DP isolator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TheCodboy

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering where i stand here. Scenario is as follows PME supply, 60a service fuse, 16mm tails running into DP isolator in the meter box. Going to upgrade the CU,no problem with load etc so the 60a fuse is fine. Was going to run new 25mm tails into the Dp isolator. Do the tails from the other side of the isolator need to be upgraded too? Like i say, service fuse and load aren't changing, obviously the 16mm is fine, but wasnt sure if it would need to be changed from the meter to the isolator. Cant pull service fuse so if it needed done the energy supplier would have to do this and probably charge for it yes??

No, so long as tails are in good condition they don't need to be upgraded. Same goes with isolator->CU tails - why are you upgrading them if they're in good condition?
Its for an assessment an even though we all know that is fine to use the 16mm, OSG stating 25mm tails be used, i just dont want any over zealous assessor giving me a hard time about it.

Its for an assessment an even though we all know that is fine to use the 16mm, OSG stating 25mm tails be used, i just dont want any over zealous assessor giving me a hard time about it.

Where does the OSG state 25mm tails should be used and which regulation does it reference ?

514.3 is concerned with the identification of conductors. There is no reg that backs up the assertion that 25mm tails must be used.

Anyway, back to the question. The meter tails (between meter and isolator)are the concern of the supplier. Even if you get in touch with them asking to upgrade them to 25mm, if they don't see a reason to they won't, and there won't be a reason to.

OSG is a guide, BS 7671 is the book you work to and that says no such thing.

Also, if it's for assessment, one thing he will pull you up on is no KMF for meter tails over 3m.

OSG is a guide, BS 7671 is the book you work to and that says no such thing.

Also, if it's for assessment, one thing he will pull you up on is no KMF for meter tails over 3m.
Tail length is fine,coming straight,through from outside meter,up the wall in trunking, secured with fire clips (maybe a bit of overkill).

514.3 is concerned with the identification of conductors. There is no reg that backs up the assertion that 25mm tails must be used.

Anyway, back to the question. The meter tails (between meter and isolator)are the concern of the supplier. Even if you get in touch with them asking to upgrade them to 25mm, if they don't see a reason to they won't, and there won't be a reason to.
Nice one, Thanks for the info!

If you are worried about Inspector Gadget, perhaps a comment on the cert, "16mm tails Ref Method B/C in good condition but will need review if service fuse is upgraded from 60A". Then you'll have answered the question before it's asked.

I wouldn't be extra sure that Gadget himself doesn't worship the "Gospels according to the On site guide"

If I waa an ---, which I am and if I waa assessing you which I am not I may ask why you left the 16.0 tails in. The only reason would be to confirm you understand why they didn't need changing which they do not.

Reply to Tails from meter to DP isolator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net