Discuss Tails (or rather T&E) behind skirting. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello all.

About to do a CU change and from the pre works visit it looks like the 16mm T&E from the meter is run 3m to the CU behind the skirting board. No mechanical protection seen. TNS. Ze = 0.28ohms.

This clearly isn't acceptable and I shall advise getting it changed but my question is would you still change the CU? I've never quite seen the logic in not changing it. In this case it would go from a BS3036 board with no RCD to Amd 3 board with RCD protection.

Ps.. 2 more questions.

2. Can 16mm T&E have a 10mm earth (it looks like 10mm and I thought 16mm had a 6mm cpc)?

3 . The gas is bonded in the correct position with 10mm but this goes to a bonding clamp around the supply cable, just above the TNS connection. I've never seen this before and it looks bodgy. Is this acceptable?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hello all.

About to do a CU change and from the pre works visit it looks like the 16mm T&E from the meter is run 3m to the CU behind the skirting board. No mechanical protection seen. TNS. Ze = 0.28ohms.

This clearly isn't acceptable and I shall advise getting it changed but my question is would you still change the CU? I've never quite seen the logic in not changing it. In this case it would go from a BS3036 board with no RCD to Amd 3 board with RCD protection.

Cheers.
Part of the CU change could require the tails to be changed, so I would inform your customer the work required. in order to to change the CU

just glue 3m of this to the skirting board.
Tails (or rather T&E) behind skirting. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

2. Can 16mm T&E have a 10mm earth (it looks like 10mm and I thought 16mm had a 6mm cpc)?
Does it have "I.S. 201" on the sheath? Old Irish Standard 16mm^2 T&E had a 10mm^2 cpc and old Irish Standard 10mm^2 T&E had a 6mm^2 cpc.

All new I.S. 201 cable has a cpc of equal csa to the live conductors and is also insulated.

No I wouldn’t change the CU without putting the tails right.

I'd do it as long as an agreement was in place to sort out the supply cable in a sensible timescale with the customer. As HHD says it's still making the installation much safer by only replacing the CU, what reason could there be for putting further nails or screws through an existing fixed skirting board, low risk IMO.

I'd do it as long as an agreement was in place to sort out the supply cable in a sensible timescale with the customer. As HHD says it's still making the installation much safer by only replacing the CU, what reason could there be for putting further nails or screws through an existing fixed skirting board, low risk IMO.
IMO you would not be changing the CU completely without ensuring the Tails are: the right size and installed safely.

Be more of a high risk it the tails had been/were damaged, no sorry got to disagree on this, no offence to anyone, but changing a CU using what could possibly be a dangerous tail installation is not on in my book.
But it is no less dangerous because you haven't changed it, is it? Someone could still put a nail through the skirting if it started to come away from the wall, old fuse-box or new CU. Like Dave said, if you get an agreement that it will be sorted, crack on. What about if the customer got electrocuted the next week, when an RCD might have saved him?? You could go round in circles like this for ever, just change it.

But it is no less dangerous because you haven't changed it, is it? Someone could still put a nail through the skirting if it started to come away from the wall, old fuse-box or new CU. Like Dave said, if you get an agreement that it will be sorted, crack on. What about if the customer got electrocuted the next week, when an RCD might have saved him?? You could go round in circles like this for ever, just change it.
Sorry Mate gave you an agree, thinking that you meant change the tails as well, but I don't think you did.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have given her a quote for the CU change and the extra work. She has said she will get it all done but can only afford the CU change now (and other work next month). I believe her so intend to carry out the CU change.

I do take on board what the electricians above have said regarding not carry out the work until other work has been done, and I would have refused the CU change if she had point blank refused to have the additional work done, but she seems genuine and I believe I will be back next month. Maybe naive, maybe not!

Did anyone have any thoughts on the bonding clamp on the TNS going to the gas (see point 3 in my OP)?

Hi - can't you establish a new MET and connect it from there?
I can and will, just wondered if any one had seen this before and really whether it's acceptable. It certainly gives a very low continuity reading to the gas pipes!

Reply to Tails (or rather T&E) behind skirting. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock