Discuss Test bathroom fan power in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello

I have an old timed extractor fan in the bathroom which has stopped working. It has 3 wires which are black, brown and grey. I believe that these are neutral, live and switched live respectively. At the wall mounted isolating switch (outside the bathroom) the grey cable is sleeved brown and connected to L2 while brown is connected to L1. The day-to-day power is controlled by a ceiling pull switch separate from the light switch - I have not examined the wiring of this switch.

I presume the fan's motor has failed and am perfectly happy to replace the fan with a new one but, before I do so, it would seem to make sense to confirm that the problem is not a "simple" matter of it not receiving power. I imagine it is relevant to point out that a blue LED illuminates when I pull the ceiling switch and goes out after switch is pulled again AND timer has elapsed. Is this sufficient to confirm that all is well with the wiring and so the fan itself has a fault?

If not, how should I go about testing with a multimeter please?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to Test bathroom fan power in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I've installed a replacement bathroom extractor fan. Pic on the left is the old one. Pic on right is the new one. Wired the same way but the fan...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm looking for some advice for adding a time delay on my parent's shower room fan. My parents had a section of their garage converted into a...
Replies
Views
L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L
Need to replace an old Vent-Axia extractor fan as the pull chord no longer works. I bought this -...
Replies
Views
Hi, have an old bathroom fan. Which has two wires the black and red (line and neutral). The fan has no isolator switch and was powered when the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock