Discuss Test failed due to missing RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All
Recently joined the forum to ask for some information.
I recently bought a flat to let. I was advised by the letting agent to get the electrics tested, although not a legal requirement. The test was carried out by their electrical contractor. He failed the test due to the fuse board not having an RCD fitted. The fuse board is the original board fitted in 2003 when the flats where built. There has been no mods or circuits added to the system and everything is working as it should. I paid £348.00 for the test and the RCD to be installed. I have since been told that the test should not have failed due to the lack of the RCD. Have I been stitched up.
Any comments gratefully recieved

Peter

I don't agree. Lack of RCD protection where now required must be listed in the Observations section of the report. The severity of the coding recommendations will depend on the particular details of the installation.

Do you know what an RCD is? Perhaps the spark involved got fed up with making recommendations to Landlords who generally baulk at increasing their tenants safety for the sake of a few quid by ignoring them, and just failed it to force the issue. Maybe debatable as far as the regulations are concerned, but at least it's going to be safer. I can't understand any landlord that wouldn't want one fitted to be honest.

Thanks for your comments, but does an existing fuse board without an RCD not meet the current regs.
Read 3.1 of best practice guide

Attachments

• Best-Practice-Guide-1-Issue-3-.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
Dont get me started on landlords and letting agents. Have had a issue with them this morning, agent had me in to do a EICR a few weeks back, consumer unit from mid 90's, no rcd, amongst many issues i found in the house - such as missing cpc on lights, the water and gas bonded to each other but not to the MET or CU.. but also wants me to put in some new sockets and a extra shower on 3rd floor.as the large room is being split into 2 bedrooms, had to explain the need for an rcd. has a quote from somebody willing to do the job dirt cheap and landlord feels my price is too high. I said not to worry then, with the money he saves on the electrician he can use that towards his legal fees when he ends up in court when one of tenants ends up dead from the cowboys work. Suffice to say my response has meant i did not get the job, but im quite happy with that.

Thanks for your comments, but does an existing fuse board without an RCD not meet the current regs.
Look it is like this - it probably did meet requirements at the time. Whether it does now or not maybe be the subject of debate, however, for your own and more importantly your tenant's safety fitting one would be a good idea, and not expensive, as you have seen. Do you know what one does? Like I said before the spark has probably been in this situation loads of times before and been completely ignored by penny pinching landlords. Or, there may also be a good reason, so if I were you I would just crack on. He has not taken the mick with his price, IMO. Who was it told you that it should not have failed anyway? Have they been to the installation and done another EICR??

Last edited:
Test failed due to missing RCD {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Test failed due to missing RCD {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Attached photos of the fuse board, before and after. I have not received the test cert yet.
I can well imagine the problems you have with landlords who just want to get the place let with no regard to the safety of the tenant. However had the spark made a comment that in his view and in the interest of the safety of the tenants he strongly advised that an RCD be fitted I would have agreed to the work.

Test failed due to missing RCD 20180222_111930 - EletriciansForums.net

Test failed due to missing RCD 20180216_124829 - EletriciansForums.net

I posted my last reply before receiving yours. I told a friend of mine who is a spark and he said he didn't think it should have failed if that was the only issue. Of course I know what an RCD does "I googled it"

I posted my last reply before receiving yours. I told a friend of mine who is a spark and he said he didn't think it should have failed if that was the only issue. Of course I know what an RCD does "I googled it"
So if you know what one does, why are you so upset? Be 100% honest, if he had given you an initial pass, with a recommendation to fit one, would you have done it??

Did your spark friend also add that it was a good idea anyway, though? He should have done.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your comments. I just wanted to get the facts right before I write a review on "trust a trader" etc. In my view, with my limited electrical knowledge, I was conned and overcharged. 7 lights, 12 double sockets, 3 appliances, boiler, Fuse board, all with easy access in an empty flat. Cost of RCD say £30.00, he only had the keys for about 2 hours, puts him on min £150.00 per hour.

Thanks for all your comments. I just wanted to get the facts right before I write a review on "trust a trader" etc. In my view, with my limited electrical knowledge, I was conned and overcharged. 7 lights, 12 double sockets, 3 appliances, boiler, Fuse board, all with easy access in an empty flat. Cost of RCD say £30.00, he only had the keys for about 2 hours, puts him on min £150.00 per hour.
There is a lot here that is open to debate and needs more facts, however I cannot help but get the impression that you are more worried about the cost of being a responsible Landlord than the safety actions involved. Why didn't you get this "mate" of yours to do the EICR? is he not qualified? After you have written your report, think on that one day you might be glad that having the RCD this person has fitted might save the life of one of your Tenants.

Reply to Test failed due to missing RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock