Discuss Test failed due to missing RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Can't comment on the coding, but were you given a price for this work, that you now think is expensive or not value for money?

Not a great lover of Trust a Trader sites etc, but would it not be better to take up this dissatisfaction with the trader in question, rather than just giving poor grading?

Yes, he said I should have a RCD fitted for all the reasons you have said. In all honesty, I'm not sure if I would have had I not spoken to him, so it worked out for the best in the end, but it should not have failed on the strength of it.

if the original installation was 2003, then socket circuits should have had RCD protection, esp. those that could be used for outside appliances. However, if RCD/s are being fitted today, they should meet current standards. a split board ( 2 RCDs ) or an RCBO board shouldbe fitted to comlply, although the upfront RCD thast's been fitted makes the installation safer.

edit> i'd probably fail it with a C2.

Living in a less prosperous part of the UK I have opinion on the charge,however,(whatever the cost)you must have agreed the price before the work was done?

My friend is a qualified spark, he works in the construction industry not residential so has not the qualification to carry out this test. I did get a price but it was very late in the day, we had tenants moving in in 3 days and did not want any problems so went along with it. It wasn't until I saw what was involved that I started asking questions. As I have said, I'm glad I had it fitted.

Firstly replacing a main switch for an RCD means all circuits will be lost in the event of tripping. A non compliance in itself, another means of providing RCD protection if required should have been adopted.
Secondly to the OP.
Just because the electrician only had the keys for two hours does not mean the job only took two hours. There would be travelling time and often the certificate might be completed back at the office from notes taken on site, could easily add another hour or more to the total time.

Thanks for all your comments. I just wanted to get the facts right before I write a review on "trust a trader" etc. In my view, with my limited electrical knowledge, I was conned and overcharged. 7 lights, 12 double sockets, 3 appliances, boiler, Fuse board, all with easy access in an empty flat. Cost of RCD say £30.00, he only had the keys for about 2 hours, puts him on min £150.00 per hour.
Oh you got hime from "Trust a Trader" better not comment? he must have given you a quote for the testing, and a price for the RCD, surely

The letting agent uses him for all their electrical work. They will be my first port of call once I get started. He did give me two prices £156.00 for the test and £192.00 for installing the RCD.

Not having RCD's in a rental property is NOT a good idea ......... I would suggest that you may have been taken advantage of .......... and as he was recommended by the estate agent, I suspect they get some form of kick back .............

Next time, plan ahead and don't use a spark associated with an estate agent.

He's taken out the mains switch and replaced it with the RCD
Which contravenes BS7671 as he has now introduced a common point of failure. An earth fault on any circuit will cut the electricity to the entire flat.

So he has changed what was a minor issue - that deserves a C3 (improvment recommended) - to what I regard as something much worse.

He's taken out the mains switch and replaced it with the RCD
Which contravenes BS7671 as he has now introduced a common point of failure. An earth fault on any circuit will cut the electricity to the entire flat.

So he has changed what was a minor issue - that deserves a C3 (improvment recommended) - to what I regard as something much worse.

He did give me two prices £156.00 for the test and £192.00 for installing the RCD.

I would say that you need to go back to the agent / spark and question the £192.00 to fit an RCD

Are you sure it wasn't supposed to be £156 for the test and an additional £36 (making £192) for the RCD.

Talk about over charging ...................

Had it been £192.00 or even £250.00 for both, I would have paid without question but £348.00. It's like when you take your car in for an MOT and it fails because the laughter shaft has detached from the giggle pin and its going to cost 50 Groats to get it fixed and you can't drive it as it is.
OK we will assume said electrician is self employed, irrespective of the possible dubious worth of installing an up-front RCD. No holiday pay, no sick pay, scheme fees, insurance, accountants, and so on. You have no idea of the costs involved, do you? How much rent are you charging your Tenant? Bet it's a hell of a lot more than £348 pcm, and your probably depriving someone of buying a first home to boot.

@sparksburnout

You seem to be disagreeing with some of the comments on here ........ why, what is your opinion?

@Peterpipe

Have you received the invoice? Maybe not pay it until you have received the paperwork.

You need an EICR and a MWC or EIC with the invoice

Reply to Test failed due to missing RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net