Discuss Testing emergency lighting as a DI in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

As a DI, would I be able to sign off a completion certificate on emergency lighting installed in the communal hallway of a block of flats? (A dreaded HMO!)

I only have access to the green forms on the NIC certification site. Would they suffice?

I have been asked to install and sign off an installation but want to make sure I am actually allowed to do so before I say yes. Installing the system to comply with the regs shouldn't be a problem, but don't want to start something I can't finish.

Regards

If you install the system in accordance with the British standard and the wiring and building regulations and have the test equipment and reference information to verify the installation and the correct forms are correctly and fully completed then you should be OK.
Competence is key.

I haven't invested in the regs book yet but would do if it was financially viable to do so. Would take me a couple of days work just to recouperate that investment!

The other concern I have is the lux level testing. Do you have to take readings with a calibrated meter regardless or can you satisfy section v8 on the verification form by following the manufactures and regs guidelines on positioning?

Thing is, how do you know your work is complying with BS5266 if you don't own a copy?

This is what would be asked if god forbid anything went wrong.

Would the emergency lighting on site guide give thorough enough guidance to carry out installation correctly?

Would hate to shell out on the full guide for one job then having it sitting around gathering dust as no one wants me to do another install!

We do a bit or emergency light work normally alterations, repairs etc not big installs and our NIC guy checks we have a copy BS 5266 on his yearly visit so if you are doing the work I would say you need to least to own a copy ,Mind you it is expensive for what it Is

Always makes me laugh people will have 7671 but feel they don't need 5266 for em lighting maybe that is why so many installs are just thrown in randomly.

Reply to Testing emergency lighting as a DI in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net